Two weeks, three days and two mappings

dkritter

Ok briefly implanted Sep 20, activated October 14th, unilateral. Rhondo 2 because I'm waiting for the Sonnet 2 swap in the USA. Had second mapping October 28th. Regardless my question is what is mapping? Seems to me at my second "mapping"  they just amp up each electrode to a higher decibel to even them out and off you go. I do know from my first mapping and two weeks later, I could hardly detect the implant (very quite).  I think i get that, loud at first because it's new and mellows out over time , remapping  to jack it up so you're back to first base where your were two weeks ago.

But is that it, is that what mapping is - cranking the volume???

With my HA, my audio had it so we'd get to prescription levels (normal hearing if there is such a thing if you've lost it all)  setting soon.Plus I have other programs for noisy place, voice in speech, music and on then can dial it down when you need, etc. 

So the big question is, once I'm on track and deep into this Rhondo2, do you eventually get programs with your finer tuner where you can dial in for certain situations?? Like I've read here, I like omni  mic and other settings with  this processor or others.

Basically trying to close the loop on all the studying I've done but unable to answer the question

• HearPeers Heroes

@dkritter

yes you will get there but first you have to reach a stable MAP.  A MAP that does not seem quieter over time.  Then you can explore more options.

Rondo 2 is always omni mic setting.  You can get a special MAP for noisy places and music but my omni MAPs work great in noise and with music so I do not have special MAPs.

Sonnet 2 offers more features for different MAPs to try out.  But again, you have to reach a stable MAP first.

So far so good I can hear well in a quiet place but in noisy environment I get a lot of (not sure what to call it) but people start to sound like they are in a phone booth or such. However still very positive and I think it will come quickly

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2019 at 10:59 AM, dkritter said:

So far so good I can hear well in a quiet place but in noisy environment I get a lot of (not sure what to call it) but people start to sound like they are in a phone booth or such. However still very positive and I think it will come quickly

Did you problem get solved? I'm in week 3 post activation and also face this problem of speech sounding as if reverberating.

• 2 weeks later...

update 8 weeks in: hearing is getting better, as the day wears on the cochlear device works better and better. It's like in the morning it's still or foreign object, things are loud obnoxious and not too clear. I do my aural exercises and that pretty much primes the pump for the day - gets my brain engaged. I have a ways to go but it's in the proper direction.

One afternoon at the office turned off the right side hearing aid and just relied on my left side implant and surprisingly it was a pretty good day. I understood most of my colleagues  - they didn't sound quite right but I could comprehend what they said.

• 5 weeks later...

New update - last mapping January 13th. previously one back in December. I am about 12 weeks in. Briefly from December to today, word recognition went from 40% to 76% sentence recognition went from 20% to 70%. I don't remember the numbers but speech in noise had as dramatic improvement but still a ways to go. So steady progress.

I've also noticed the ambient noise has diminished and I am hearing more of what  I want to hear.

Lastly, I got an email from Med-el that the Sonnet 2 is now available in the US. I emailed them and they said there were still few weeks from putting the swap program in place but said they will email another announcement.

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

@dkritter

Awesome progress!  And even when you hit a point where the in booth testing plateaus, you will still notice improvements in your real life.  

Exciting!