Rondo microphone position

Kare

Hello Rondo users!

The normal way to wear the Rondo is with the microphone upwards.

How do you wear the Rondo? 
Is it possible to wear the Rondo with the mic forwards instead of up, does the forward position stay in place all day?

When the microphone is directed forward, can you hear the person in front of you better?

Karen

good morning Karen.  the RONDO is bottom weighted due to the battery position. so even if you rotate it to have the microphone pointed forwards, gravity pulls it back up to its original position.  when I have re-positioned the RONDO, as you describe., I find no difference in sound or comprehension.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Karen, I find where the rondo is situated, that it is not difficult to hear the people in front and at the side of me. I will try placing the rondo in the forward position and see if it makes any difference. I find in restaurants, I place myself so that the rondo is against the wall side. There is less interference with ambient sounds. I also use the Finetuner so I only hear the people at the table. In a car, I find I must turn around to hear a person in the back seat. Maybe repositioning the rondo is a good idea for different situations.

• HearPeers Heroes

John, if you changed the battery strength, do you think it might make a difference?

Sandy,  I already wear the #3 magnet and the #4 is a special order from my audi. I do not want to run the risk of skin irritation, etc.by permanently changing the orientation. I already follow the best practices you described so well in your post.

Hi,

I just got activated today -- wearing the Rondo first and then I'll try the BTE in a couple weeks. My audiologist told me to point the microphone upwards.  It is very interesting hearing every little sound and so much static.

Cecilia

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations Cecilia on your activation. The journey begins. Enjoy. For me, it was stepping into a whole new world. There were so many sounds and even if they were annoying, I could hear! It's been constant new experiences this past year.

Thank you John, Sandy and Cecilia for your reply!

Cecilia, congratulions on your activation!

All this talk of Rondo love is making me jealous, as I didn't get a choice, because of the way my CI was funded - 'we fit maestro+opus2'. Lol. Opus2 will probably be best anyway as my life involves hard hats and helmets, and I'll probably be using the active wear option quite a lot - Not really bothered, so long as I can hear again, and from your posts, it seems the Rondo is just a wearing preference, rather than performance. The med-el web site does say however that people who chose med-el and were implanted between certain recent dates will receive both?? I shall ask at my activation on monday - you never know, as it seems that having both, and the choice, as we British say 'is the icing on the cake'!

Thanks to all who have posted on this, as knowing your options, and real user feedback is important in something as life changing as CI.

Mike

Michael, I do believe that the RONDO promotion is world wide, get implanted before X date and get a free RONDO. You should definitely ask your clinic. Your post mentioned the ActiveWear option. I use it when riding the bike with my helmet. It uses the disposable batteries only, so be prepared. Also, since TEXAS is a tetch warmer than the sceptered isle, I also wear EarGears. http://www.gearforears.com/?gclid=CPrrmujwob0CFSISMwodvSgAZQ. I use diaper pins to pin the EarGear to my cycling jersey. It works rather well and you have total freedom of movement. You could pint them to your short! They have various color schemes form hot pink to camo! Good luck!

Thank you, Sandy and Karen.  Yes, it is amazing all the little sounds I'm hearing, and how the sounds I did hear before sound different now.  It was annoying at first, but I am staring to get used to it little by little.

• HearPeers Heroes

Michael, I do believe that the RONDO promotion is world wide, get implanted before X date and get a free RONDO. You should definitely ask your clinic. Your post mentioned the ActiveWear option. I use it when riding the bike with my helmet. It uses the disposable batteries only, so be prepared. Also, since TEXAS is a tetch warmer than the sceptered isle, I also wear EarGears. http://www.gearforears.com/?gclid=CPrrmujwob0CFSISMwodvSgAZQ. I use diaper pins to pin the EarGear to my cycling jersey. It works rather well and you have total freedom of movement. You could pint them to your short! They have various color schemes form hot pink to camo! Good luck!

No John, unfortunately - it is not.

2-4-1 promotion (Opus2 and Rondo)

I asked today at the clinic, and they sort of admitted that they may have possibly received both an Opus2 and a Rondo for me... and are going to check it out??.... then there was rumblings about costs of setting up a 2nd processor.... which I told them, was crap! leave it to month 3 or even 6 when a have a stable map, then program it once to match my Opus2 (takes 2 minutes tops). The person who could give me a definitive answer, was on leave today....but I now have her email address!

....But all that is secondary to the progress I have achieved with today's activation and initial mapping session...AWESOME!!

(just need a volume control for the world now!LOLLaughing)

Mike

• HearPeers Heroes

Good going Mike. I would think both would be set the same. Can't see how the cost would be more. Your journey begins!

Thanks Sandy!

If the Rondo is 'free issue' second processor via the promotion, then only cost to the clinic would be the 2 minutes to load it with my current map... I'll keep the pressure on them for an answer!

At the end of a 2hr activation and initial mapping, I was holding conversation with my girlfriend,audiologist and her assistant WITHOUT lip reading! I was amazed, but obviously that was in a 'Quiet' room at the audiology suite. A promising start to mastering the implant... and yes John, helium voices, chipmunks and cartoon voices were all in there!

My Audi was so pleased with my initial results, that I now won't see her again for week. (normally a second mapping session would have followed in 2 or 3 days).

Also arranged to get 'active wear' longer lead, and looking into 'Ear Gear' protector - thanks for the advice John!

Despite all the great advice on the forum, I still went into today with some trepidation. Yes, I'm now on my journey, keeping a positive outlook, and remembering the HearPeers mantra of the 3 P's!

So Rondo or not - Thankyou Med- El.

• HearPeers Heroes

Michael,

I believe that answer for your question lies at the mouth of the Med-El UK representative.

So, it depends whether 2for1 is avalable for whole UK.

• 7 months later...

Hi Karen,

I always wear the Rondo with the microphone forward because it's the only possible position with my glasses.

Cédric

• 1 year later...

I wear my Rondo mic up, down or sideways...doesn't seem to make a difference :) The hairclip being the only thing that mostly dictates how it's used... and IF that was easier to swap around that would change too. oh and as my audio loop is up around the ceiling, I do then have to point it UP if listening to the TV downstairs, and DOWN if I'm upstairs.

I'm in the Netherlands, and the 2fer was here... I just got in on time... so happy I did. The one you choose to use most is the only one INSURED though, for replacement purposes. I chose the Rondo and my Opus2 is just reserve. Fabulous! Both were programmed. The rondo while testing, the opus after reaching best use.

All that said, I didn't know which manufacturer to choose and it was the surgeon who said he fancied MedEl for me... and as the sound quality is totally equal and both programmed the same there was no reason for me not to take the rondo. Nothing behind that ear for the first time in 30 years... what's not to like?!

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to hear you have had such success with the Rondo. Plus the peace of mind of having the opus 2 as a backup of needed