Sonnet DL-Coil Cover Cracking

Sid

Anybody experiencing their Sonnet DL-Coil (High-Profile) cover cracking?

Both of my coil covers (I'm bilateral) have cracked and both of my audio processor assemblies are about about a year old. I've replaced one coil cover and a week later it is starting to a show hairline crack across the center of it. How long are the coil covers suppose to last and why is it doing this?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sid

The times I have read about DL-coil covers cracking were related to:

- the magnet NOT being locked into a + or - position 

- the magnet strength 5 must be locked into + position only 

- using the incorrect coil cover for the magnet strength 

magnet strength 4-, 4+ and 5+ use high profile covers

magnet strength 1-, 1+, 2-, 2+, 3-, 3+ use low profile covers

These are the only things I have read that cause the DL coil covers to crack.

Mostly it has been not having the magnet LOCKED into the + or - position.  This results in the magnet moving as the internal Synchrony magnet aligns and cracks the cover.

My coil covers are from my original kit.  So they are 4 years old and still fine.

Gee, someone must've incorrectly assembled the audio processor assembly when I've received the new Sonnets. I'll just put a little dab of Gorilla super glue to reinforce the coil covers until I can afford new ones.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sid

Did you remove the cover and look at the magnet?  You can push it into the correct lock position.

Several friends of mine had this happen.  Their CI audiologists left the magnet centered and not locked into the + or - position and their coil covers cracked.

Not yet. Waiting for replacement covers from MED-EL.

I have experienced with several CI audiologists that were not very well knowledgeable or supportive of MED-EL products. Perhaps it is something that MED-EL (US) marketing should pursue to improve.

When I went for my 6-month CI checkup in August the audiologists were not aware of the Sonnet 2 existence?!?! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sid

I go to a very large CI Center that works with all three FDA approved brands.  They keep up with the new tech/software/ devices very well.

There are regional Med-El audiologists who support our clinical audiologists.  They are called CAMs (clinical account managers).  We may ask our clinical audiologists to schedule an appointment for us with the Med-El CAM attending too. Keep that in mind.  You may find it helpful at some point.

Sonnet 2 is not yet released in the US.  I do not know if Med-El has started to train our clinical audiologists yet.  Sometimes we hear about things first since many times Med-El processors or ASM versions are released in Europe before the US.

I am reading everything I can find on users’ experiences with Rondo 2 and Sonnet 2.  Exciting times!