Opus2 Selectable Programmes

coweat2

Last week at my second programming session, I broached the subject of the 4 user programmes with my audi, as at present they are all set the same. Previously with my HA's I had programmes optimized for speech in noise, music, FM only,Telecoil, and ' Software Off'.

My audi was sort of implying that the processors are now so good, that they deal with the 'live' sound, such as speech in noise or music listening, automatically, without the need for special settings. Ok, I'll go along with that...so far, But, now that I have FM via recievers on my HA and Opus2, I would like to be able to have one of the programmes set to turn off the microphone on the processor, so I just get the FM source, just like you can with the Microphone+Telecoil, or Telecoil ONLY option on the remote.

Does any one have any experience of having the different programmes set-up, for specific things? Or know if turning off the microphone is an option via the programme settings?

I Have had one or two crap Audi's over my years of HA's, where they only really understood the basic setup procedures/software, and have in the past had to pursue the HA technical people directly, to achieve the optimum solution/performance. I don't think this is the case with my CI team... but I'd welcome anyone's comments or experiences, as it's nice to know if something can be achieved!

Third mapping tomorrow, at 2 weeks post activation, followed by first session with hearing therapist - really enjoying my Journey, because as everybody says, remember the 3 P's, and it just keeps getting better!

Mike

Further to my earlier post: my Audi checked with Med-El today, and turning off the processor mic withe the programming software is not availableCry

However in the further discussion on the subject of programming options, I brought up the subject of the programming strategy ( i'd previously read a post by John Lee, regarding better understanding of music with the Fine Structure Programming strategy, but you may have to ask your Audi to activate it). Turns out that the default PC setup software is set to the FS4 strategy, at my clinic. BUT, you can use a different protocol with other user selectable programmes. Hence I was able to to get a detailed mapping loaded onto my Opus2 in FS4,and set it as user programme#1, and copy that map onto the FSP strategy, and set it as user programme#2 - Now I can try both, and see if it works for me??Laughing

There is a link on John's post, to a detailed article on how it works, which is rather technical - but that's kind of secondary to being aware of your options - as we know everybodies CI journey is individual, so it may work for some and not for others.

Mike

I wish I were smart enough to understand all this.

I know when I first was activated I was given a couple different programs and then the Audi moved me to just one.

I am going to ask her to go back to different programs for different situations because I see NO change at all when I simply use the sensitivity buttons.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have the FSP program and find it great for TV. As has been said in previous posts, music is the hardest to hear. It takes a lot of practice. I'm still nowhere near where I'd link to be but it will happen eventually. Patience! I also have two other programs, the number one is what I use daily and two is a louder version of one. I use this for soft spoken people. Next mapping next week, so we will see what happens. I still find voices tinny.

Lisa. As I understand it the sensitivity adjustment is for the range of the processor mics, as in distance that the mic picks up. So in theory reducing the sensitivity would reduce background noise generated a distance away. This is pre processor, and the volume control adjusts the post processor level sent to the implant. So scenario would be turn down sensitivity say, if you were in a café, to reduce traffic noise from the street, but increase volume to better hear your dining partner, close to you.

Mike

Yes, Mike, that's the theory - but when I use those 'buttons' I can perceive zip-zero change.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa, do you press the sensitivity button more than once? I find in a cafe that I need to press the sensitivity button a number of times depending on where I am sitting. I also find that if I am sitting with the processor next to a wall or window, I hear better. Don't get the sounds of cutlery and dishes as much. Lots to experiment with!

• HearPeers Heroes

Michael,

Great to see your enthusiasm post activation.

1. Please remember that you are two weeks post activation.

Most CI audiologists will not discuss FM options and settings or multiple programs (except for loudness) at this stage.

Discuss with your audiologist your desires for the four programs and set a timeline you are both comfortable with.

2. Your audiologist probably is implying you have Automatic Sound Management (ASM) turned on.  Supposedly it makes seamless transitions between listening environments without adjusting settings. You can call it magic.

I have tried using the OPUS 2 with AMS on and off and have not noticed a difference.

So I do use four different programs (normal, whisper, music, normal-variant) but I am also 4 years post implant.

3. The OPUS 2 and Rondo CI use the Maestro System Software Version 4.0 .

Now Maestro 4.0 comes with four (4) different coding strategies (HD-CIS, FSP, FS4, and FS4-P).

Many people I have spoken with are confused about these coding strategies and what they are currently using, so I hope the following clears up any confusion (and I hope doesn't create more).

a) HD-CIS strategy is old technology (pre 2008). A small fraction of MED-EL CI users have tried it and claim their hearing performance is better than with FSP, however this is rare.

B) FSP strategy is recently old technology (post 2008) and is what probably 95% of Rondo and OPUS 2 users are using in the U.S.

c) FS4 and FS4-P (parallel signal processing) strategies are recent technology (post 2010). The FS4 & FS4-P strategies aim at better frequency coding in the low- to mid-frequencies by allowing the neural structures in the inner ear to better phase-lock to the sound signal, as an individual’s normal hearing does in this frequency range. FS4 and FS4-P provide fine structure on 4 channels ranging up to 1 kHz for an even more accurate hearing experience than FSP.

d) FS4 and FS4-P strategies have not been approved by the FDA in the United States but they have been approved in many other countries (like the UK). Michael is fortunate to be using it. I have asked MED-EL for over two years now if they have an idea when FS4 and FS4-P may be FDA approved. They simple told me they don't know.

e) Michael I am really glad you are using both FS4 and FSP strategies (so envious).

Can you please update us on your hearing ability with both coding strategies?

Are you going to try FS4-P strategy?

• 2 months later...

Hi peers! Just a quick update... just had my 3 month tuning consultation (was actually 10 wks, as my audi is away for the next 2 weeks). having had a couple of months with a fairly stable map, and trying different coding strategies, I have to say that FS4 which is my everday strategy seems best for me, as I work construction, which is a very varied sound environment. FSP does seem to help me with music, but I'm not there yet. I've also trialed FS4(P), which I've found to be rather good in group activity, but a fairly quiet background - it seems to help where there is a wide variation of voice types, particularly female voices.

Generally, My hearing journey is progressing, and I had benchmark tests at the session to see where I'm at. Was staggered when I got 100% in the BKB, and 94% in the CUNY tests. Really pleased!Smile My audi did a further test, derived from the BKB, which tests phonetic recogonition, which is a bit subjective, but helps them determine your frequency response, which my Audi then used to make a couple of minor cahnges to my map.

We ended the session by running a version of the BKB which tests speech in noise, where I got 77%, which apparently is very good for anybody with Aided Hearing, as most 'normal' hearing adults only score around 85%!

Hoping to get to grips with the phone in the coming weeks, but I'll need to keep to the 3 P's!

Congratulations, Michael. You really seem to be progressing very fast.

I remember our discussion on technology right after our activations and I really like that your so passionate about getting the most out of your implant.

Personally I have no knowledge on what coding strategy I'm using. I don't have any programs on my remote. However - why would you have liked to have the fm+m in the program? Isn't it controlled by a small switch on the receiver? It wasn't until I had a digital aid with build-in receiver that I had a program for that in the aid. My "shoe" has the switch, but I don't think I've tried it with the CI. I have gotten a roger pen with neck loop receiver so I could use both my ha and CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Michael,

Thanks for the update.

BKB is usually used with children and less with adults.

CUNY is used just with adults.

Your BKB and CUNY scores in Quiet are great.

Your BKB in noise score is very good.

A CUNY in noise test should be next for you.

Appreciate the updates on the FSP, FS4 and FS4(P) strategies.

It is good to hear they seem to complement each other.

I was recently told by a MED-EL audiologist that the U.S. FDA has finally approved the MAESTRO 4.0 FS4 and FS4(P) coding strategies.

MED-EL will soon begin to train the audiologists at the CI centers on programming with FS4 and FS4(P).

I contacted my CI audiologist and she told me she will be accepting appointments for FS4 and FS4(P) programming by the end of summer.

Hopefully there will be lively discussions on HearPeers once we all get programmed with FS4 and FS4(P).

You are doing extremely well and have a great attitude.

Keep us posted.