Causes

MeganMayRose

The cause of my SSD is unknown and suspected to be neural. What are some causes y'all have gotten explanations for? I was "born with it" according to the doctors who refuse to help me find a cause.

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Megan

My guess is there are too many to mention. Believe it or not, a majority of hearing loss cases cannot be pinpointed to one specific thing.

Congenital, Perilymph Fistula, Meniers, sometimes BPPV, meningitis, chronic ear infections, Cholesteatoma, tumors........plus I am sure there are many more

There are many in this community that have various reasons for their hearing loss. I am sure they would be glad to share their experience with you.

Welcome to hearpeers, we look forward to getting to know you

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Megan,

AT first - welcome to the Hearpeers Community.  :)

Since when do you have your SSD? Completely deaf ear without response or severe hearing loss, sensors-neural type? :huh:

You should be more open toward doctors - the reason why "they do not want to tell you" is not always by intention than by truth: most of SSD causes are not known - viral, progressive hearing loss etc. Some children who are SSD since birth never reminded that fact, some had substantial difficulties while they were in school - another reason unknown. :huh:

But, it is important ro rule out one possible cause: tumour of cochlear nerve. Everything else is less important - you should look in front and not behind you.  B)

This is the most crucial excerpt from one ENT resident... ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, you are so right. It is very easy to get wrapped up in the "why" instead of the "what can we do". I myself have been caught up in the same mentality. It is easy to get there as I am sure you know. We have all been down very similar roads and unless you have traveled those same roads, it is very hard to understand what it is like.

I was told the same thing when I first started losing my hearing. That in most cases, the cause is unknown, all they can do is treat the resulting problem of not hearing.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

You know Adam - it is very interested question from the psychological view of point: why something what we have since we know for ourselves does not bother us as something what happens to us while we're "on the road"...?

• 1 year later...

The cause of my SSD is unknown and suspected to be neural. What are some causes y'all have gotten explanations for? I was "born with it" according to the doctors who refuse to help me find a cause.

Hi Megan, 

I just read your forum. I was diagnosed with Sensorineural hearing loss at the beginning of this year. It seriously made me so depressed because I just got engaged in December too. Did you just one day wake up with no hearing or attend a loud concert? How did you lose hearing? I myself had cancer as a kid and many rounds of radiation that affected the hearing on my right ear. I have worn a hearing aid in my right ear since college but the doctors told me that the radiation also affected a little bit of my left ear as well. I had autoimmune inner ear disease that attacked my left ear since there were already dead hair cells is what they told me. I've had the autoimmune disease before but it went away with a week round of steroids, this time I wasn't so lucky. The reason I asked too if you attended a loud concert was because that could have been it, it's what triggered my hearing loss on top of the autoimmune disease.