Now I'm bilateral!

Leblisa

Had my second CI implanted today and it went smoother than the first time: no nausea!  Home the same day!  I have  a lot of soreness because I declined all narcotics (they make me nauseous) but otherwise just feeling very tired and pleased.

Talk to you later,

Post-op day 1 and feeling 100% better!  Much less sore, nothing Tylenol can't handle.  A little bit of bleeding draining from left nostril and into left side of mouth (sorry, TMI).  No unsteadiness or sense of even mild vertigo.

It turns out that I have really poor vestibular function in my left ear (which we did not know until I had the vestibular function test earlier this month).  All my vestibular function was coming from the right ear, so when that side was operated on last June I had HUGE issues with nausea, vertigo, etc.  Thankfully, it recovered well and now, with surgery on the left side, there really is nothing there to get unhappy.

If we'd known I only have good vestibular function in the right ear, the surgeon would never have done the surgery on it.  I'm lucky he's so good that I had a perfect recovery to that system.  If we'd done the left first and THEN had the vestibular test, he never would have taken the chance and done the right side.

Feeling blessed...

• HearPeers Heroes

Well done Lisa!

Rest up - well a bit at least.

Looking forward to hearing your bilateral experience as I will go that way sooner or later.

I will do that, Matt.  When I got the first side done I never imagined I'd do the second so quickly (11 months later), but I've been so pleased with the gains from the first one and noticing room for still further improvement (especially in group settings) that I decided to go for the gusto!

My activation date is June 18, so I'll be back after that.

Lisa, the Cone of Honor is an award which is only bestowed of those people deemed worthy!  You absolutely qualify and I anticipate that the wearing of said honor will be complete within a few days, but the memory will resound in your ear forever.

Congratulations on becoming bilateral.

LOL!  Thanks John.

As honored as I am to be wearing the cone earmuff, I'll be pleased to pass this particular honor on to the next person ready to go 'bi'.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great news Lisa. Keep us informed of your progress. I'm happy for you. Rest and take it easy.

Wow Lisa, you and I have the same Activation date (June 18th and mapping on the 19th)....but why does it take you longer to get activation after surgery? I'm schedule for 2 implants surgery on June 4th (2 weeks).

Joe - we'll be Activation buddies!

The hospital where I have my CI surgeries/Audiology appointments (Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center) have a policy of waiting 4-6 weeks in order to allow time for virtually full healing & resolution of internal/external swelling before stimulating the auditory nerve.  I think they've developed this policy due to finding it seemed to go more smoothly for the majority of patients when they have that delay.

I don't mind the wait because, even without the HA, I can hear well enough with just the one CI to get by.

Good luck with your surgery on the 4th; I'll be eager for us to support each other as we go through the Activation process.

Guest Pilar Bejarano

Joe! Good luck with surgery on 4th June, and both, Joe and Lisa, best wishes for your activation. Mine will be before yours because my second CI surgery was on 29th April :)

Pilar, I'll be very interested in hearing (ha, ha) how your Activation goes.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Lisa,

excellent news - glad to read that after I got back on the forum after my Aussie Tour. No nausea? After your thoughts that your surgery will even not be possible because of it. So glad that everything went so smooth. :)

Regarding your explanation - you are perfectly right. Just to add, right now there is no evidence that earlier switching on hurts to the process of activation so many centres are changing their policies. On the other hand, there is only one reason why this is happening: people's expectations to see/hear whether their hopes will be fulfilled. I am not sure about this impatience however...

Thanks Ivana!

I guess I'm a patient woman; I don't mind the wait until Activation.

Did you go to Australia?  Somehow I missed that... how was it?

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana!

I guess I'm a patient woman; I don't mind the wait until Activation.

Did you go to Australia?  Somehow I missed that... how was it?

As we all know that regaining our hearing in full sense is a process not a point (3P's) I definitely support decision of being patience. :)

Yes, we got back few days ago - we (was with my mentour/surgeon) participated to the World congress of audiology with oral presentation. Most stuff of congress's repertoir was about sensoneural hearing loss, so our presentation came up as pretty interesting - we decided to speak in live rather than my surgeon speaks only about results. This was right decission, audience was very interesting to have possibility to ask patient and surgeon at one place questions regarding the whole process.

Although it is success to have a presentation at such meeting, we were still very surprised with results. This motivate us to continue our efforts. :)

Just like when I got support from folks here, we advertised Hearpeers community to the professional community - there is no such support as your fellow's support. So, we all know what to do next: practice, perseverance, patience. :)