This is a hardship!

Leblisa

I'm whining:  I don't WANNA wait 5 weeks until activation; I'm ready now!

(not scheduled until the 18th Frown)

• HearPeers Heroes

Good morning Lisa. I sympathize especially since you know how great this will be. Remember the 3Ps in particular - P A T I E N C E !!!

Lisa, I'm feeling your pain now. I thought I could handle reading lips without getting tired fast but boy I was wrong! Maybe I should've done one at a time but being uncomfortable wearing cones while sleeping made me glad I did both at once so I don't have to go through it again. Right now my left ear are no problem and I'm grateful because it's my best ear but my right ear I can feel some numbness where the BTE will hang on to so hopefully it will not be uncomfortable wearing it. Every time my heart beat increases I can hear the beat which is kinda cool but soon it will get annoying. During the middle of the night I woke up b/c I thought I heard a car alarm going off...strange. I have not been taking the pain killer pill in over 24 hrs but I've been taking Tylenol to help with minor pain. I am doing lot better than expected. I was up and walking at church picking up my daughter right after my surgery and I was able to go watch her sing at the VBS the next night (of course my wife was driving). I am very grateful. I have tried uploading my Cones of Honor picture but it's been giving me difficulty so I try uploading to profile picture and it work. I really misses the sounds and I can't wait till the activation date!

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well with your bilateral surgery/recovery, Joe!

It's funny, I'm very patient when it comes to the rehab after Activation but I'm very impatient waiting for that first Activation!

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I'm thinking of doing a CI next month, aiming for bilateral implants myself and was wondering are they waterproof? Can I take a shower with it or wear it while swimming? Been dealing with hearing aids since 1983 and leaning towards the "RONDO". Are you guys satisfied with the results from having your implants?

Eric,

I am extremely happy with my vastly improved hearing (read my most recent post) but my MedEl processors are NOT waterproof.

MedEl has come out with a water-resistant processor that is being sold in other counries but it's not yet FDA-approved in USA.  The implanted part is called Synchrony and the external part (processor) is called Sonnet.

If I were you I'd wait until FDA signs off on it and get that.

Even with the Sonnet, I doubt you'd want to wear it in the shower, washing your hair, etc.

Other than lack of waterproofing, MedEl has a terrific track record and many, many happy customers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm thinking of doing a CI next month, aiming for bilateral implants myself and was wondering are they waterproof? Can I take a shower with it or wear it while swimming? Been dealing with hearing aids since 1983 and leaning towards the "RONDO". Are you guys satisfied with the results from having your implants?

Love my Rondos!!!  Bilaterally implanted for 5 years.  The RONDOS are not waterproof.  BUT the WATER WEAR for the RONDOS will make them waterproof as needed.  I lost my hearing at age 37.  Doctors are still unsure why that happened.  MED-EL has changed my life.  I'm so happy I went with MED-EL!!!

Hi Eric, you may find, as time goes on, that waterproof processors are good but really shouldn't be the largest determinant in choosing a brand. What is much more important is how it allows you to hear regulatory history with the FDA, technological research and development and comfort. I wear bilateral RONDOs and on occasion, bilateral OPUS2 and while it might be nice to have waterproof or water resistant processors it is not that big of a deal. The WaterWear accessory for the RONDO will be a great thing but you will still need to have an additional way to keep the processors in place when swimming in the cone or pool.

Best wishes for a successful journey.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late response. Had the CI done last month October 16th and just had my Rondo activated this morning. Eventhough sounds/words sounds weird but glad I still have hearing without the Rondo but Rondo makes a big difference from my hearing aids.

• 6 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Lisa how are things, these days? Can you share how things went after activation?

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Eric,

The same goes with you. Would love to hear how things are going.

Adam