Opus 2, Phonak FM ALD and Loops

AiKeng

Hi peers,

My 5.5 year old has been using the Phonak FM system with his Opus 2 at school since he started Kindergarten this year. The school has a loop in the hall where they have assembly once a week, every Thuursday. For the very first time last Thursday, I sent him to school with the M/T setting on his processors (50% microphone, 50% telecoil?).

Is this the right thing to do? Assembly is at the end of the day and the teacher uses the FM system in the class during the day. Will his hearing from the FM be compromised with the M/T setting?

He can't tell me if the hearing is any different as he is autistic. The reason why I changed the setting in the morning is because the teacher does not have the remote control / fine tuner.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

AiKeng

Hi, I just done a trial run with both FM receiver and loop active at the same time.

When just on microphone 'M' if there is FM signal available, you get this and input from the microphone equally.

When on 'M/T' and there is both an FM and Loop signal avilable you get both, and input from the microphone equally.

When on 'T', this sets the opus to just recieve the loop signal, and over-rides any direct audio input (cable/FM) and the Microphone.

So set on 'M/T', your son should get whichever signals are available - but be careful, as if both FM and Loop are in range, because he will get both, this may be confusing for Him.

There is a connection Hierachy description somewhere in the handbook... but I thought it best to actually test it out!

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thank you for testing it out for me.

Very interesting point you've highlighted as well.  His classroom is right next to the school hall.  That means if there's a function in the hall that he's not involved in, he might be hearing everything that's going on in there! I'll have to let the teacher know.

AiKeng