New implant, new processor.

Matt

• HearPeers Heroes

Just released information on the new implant - Synchrony, and new external processor - Sonnet as well as a "swimming cap" for the Rondo.

Personally I like the new cable system , looks far sturdier than the current one.

The Sonnet looks good and the water resistance will be enough for me - only 18 months until I can upgrade, it might even be approved for use by then if I'm lucky.

See the Med El site for more info.

Wow Matt, you beat me to it. I was going to announce it as well. Looks good, wish I could get that today instead of Opus 2 but it might not be USA FDA approved yet. Here's the info from Facebook:

"It's the moment we've all been waiting for: the latest and most advanced cochlear implant system is here!

Say hello to SYNCHRONY!

Featuring:

- Water resistance
- Automatic Sound Management 2.0
- Wind Noise Reduction
- Microphone directionality
- Future-ready wireless connectivity
- Up to 60 hours of battery life
- 3.0 Tesla MRI safety without magnet removal"

Where did you find a "swimming cap" for the Rondo?

Thanks for the link, no wonder why I couldn't find the information. I've been looking at the US site. Now the next question is, when will it be FDA approved in USA?

Thanks for the link, no wonder why I couldn't find the information. I've been looking at the US site. Now the next question is, when will it be FDA approved in USA?

Joe, you and I certainly can't have the Synchrony as we have already been implanted with our implants (mine is Concert).

Now, if the new external processor (the Sonnet) can be paired with the Concert implants, maybe we can upgrade from our Opus2's to the Sonnet...

I'll ask my audi today at my initial Activation appointment (which is at 1 pm).

Lisa, I was supposed to be activated at 8am but was moved to 1pm. I asked my Audi about exchanging the processors and she said she will activate Rondo only. She's going to hold on to Opus2 so she can get more information about exchanging it with little to no cost. An email from Med-El rep said it may be another year before FDA approves it in US. We'll see how it goes after our activation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Joe, you and I certainly can't have the Synchrony as we have already been implanted with our implants (mine is Concert).

Now, if the new external processor (the Sonnet) can be paired with the Concert implants, maybe we can upgrade from our Opus2's to the Sonnet...

I'll ask my audi today at my initial Activation appointment (which is at 1 pm).

Yes Lisa - it can be!

I was in Munich at the CI conference when Med-El announced new generation of their CI device. Just like Cochlear's.

It would be strange other way - our heads are not PC's hardware so we can just change it...

Lisa, Ivana is correct but what she neglected to mention is the process involved! Once FDA approval is gained, then you can get explanted and reimplanted.  However, the cost could be prohibitive, if the current implant is working as designed.

Based on historical precedent, the SONNET should be backwards compatible immediately with any currently implanted CI.  I have not seen anything on any MedEl website that would lead me to believe that the SONNET will not be backwards compatible.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We can take advantage of the new coding strategies that the Sonnet will be using.  Our processors will allow that.

• 5 weeks later...

As the last major hardware update (Opus 2 and Maestro) in the US was in June, 2013, I seriously doubt we'll see the new Synchrony and Sonnet until around mid-2015 or so. Product life cycles just aren't a year in this business. Best bet is to keep the spare Opus 2 processor wrapped (if you received 2 - one as a spare) with the hopes of an inexpensive upgrade eventually. Obviously, the Maestro cant be upgraded that easily.

• 8 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

As I am sure everybody realizes, the new implant and processor has been approved. I am looking into upgrading now. Hoping the FDA will approve all that goes along with the Sonnet soon.