@Kirk S.

I just use the IOWA with the 

ah- phoneme-ah

option.

ah-bah

ah-tha

Iowa-Medial-Consonant-Test.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, Mary Beth! It was great, great, great talking with you and the rest of the group tonight (today, your time!). It’s been a rather discouraging four-plus months since my activation, so it’s reassuring to know that a different set of audiologists might be able to help. I’m not hopeful that international travel restrictions will be eased anytime soon — my guess is six months, earliest — but we’ll see. In the meantime, I’ll start working on the Iowa test asap, and I’ll look up Kylie’s audiologists to see if they have anything online. That should at least give me something to work with when I see my audiologists here in Japan next month. The online chat was great, so thanks so much for putting it together. I hope we can do it regularly. You can tell me about the latest thing you’ve seen on Broadway (although that might be another six months, too)! Please let me know if there’s anything I can do for you from here in Japan — it’s a great country, despite the language barrier! Best, Kirk

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

It was a great chat today.  I look forward to our next one.  Hang in there. If you find the IOWA test discouraging at this time, set it aside.

You may find it interesting to look up the phoneme frequencies and formants

https://advancedbionics.com/content/dam/advancedbionics/Documents/libraries/Tools-for-Schools/Educational_Support/Tools-for-Learning-about-Hearing-loss-and-Cochlear-Implants/ToolsforSchools-Sounds-of-Speech-Flyer.pdf

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

This is the sheet I use for IOWA checks.  Click on pic to zoom in.

5B04EDC6-5893-4217-B89F-06045FBB58C4.jpeg