Talking Through Teeth

Gruz

Has anyone experienced the sensation of "talking through your teeth" after Cochlear Implant surgery?  How did your audiologist solve this issue?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Gruz

Can you describe this a bit more please?  I’m not sure what you are referring to.

Hi Mary Beth,

I am bilateral CI.  My initial implant was Nucleus 5 on the left side November 2015.  I had the right side implant November 2019 and upgraded to Nucleus 7 on both sides.

Since the surgery it feels like I am talking through my front teeth, like the gopher in Winnie the Pooh "say sonny".  I did not experience this phenomenon with my original left side only implant.

Gruz

• HearPeers Heroes

@Gruz

Most times speech quality issues, like whistling...echoes....pronounced ssss sounds....etc....can be MAPped out by our audiologists.  I hope you are able to get this resolved through a MAP change.

Do you have an appointment soon with your audiologist?

My audiologist tried without success to resolve this issue.  Are there specific MAP changes you can suggest that might be helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Gruz

I am sorry but I do not. You may have better luck asking this question on a forum of Cochlear brand CIs.  My only suggestion is to consider an appointment with a different CI audiologist to see if she can improve speech quality for you.