Is that a new....

christianlove777

I need to share with you all about what happen yesterday. At one of the gas stations as I was paying for my drink a cashier asked me if that was a new Bluetooth. I was confused what she was talking about so she pointed at her head where my Rondos at. I can't help it but smiled at her and explain to her what it was. She was kinda embarrassed. I smiled not because it was a "blonde" question it was because she, a stranger, was brave enough to ask and that made me happy. I thought it was funny when she thought it was a new Bluetooth and that made me feel like I'm cool dude. I know we all grew up to never ask about other people's disabilities but I want people to ask about mine so that will give me an opportunity to educate them about deaf/Hard of Hearing and that cashier gave me that opportunity.

Have y'all had somebody asked you about Rondo and they thought it was a Bluetooth or something else? Please share! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The same thing has happened to me!  I made a joke about it.  When I tell people what my RONDOs really are, they can't believe it.  It's always, "How can you hear when there's nothing at your ears?"  I say, "It's MAGIC!!!!"  Anyway, I tell them how cochlear implants work.  It's amazing!!!!Laughing

I had someone come up to me in the checkout line at the library and ask me if my RONDII were to help migraines. At least she had the courage to ask what they were!

I haven't had that experience yet because my processors don't show.  If I try to wear them on top of my hair instead of under it, they fall off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I've also had someone ask me if my Rondo was a Bluetooth when I was standing in line at the airport. These devices are wonderful conversation pieces as well as a means of educating people.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a parent of a child with a C.I. He was implanted at 20 months and had hearing aids before that. So I've seen a lot of curious looks. I always prefer people to ask. When we used to be out on the playground or a restaurant and I'd see kids inspecting my son's head, I'd say to my son, "I think he's curious about what's on your head. Why don't you explain what it is." Or I'd explain to the child myself. It's funny whether it's an adult or child, I always feel like I'm trying not to embarrass THEM for catching them staring. There's nothing wrong with it in my opinion. You don't see a C.I. everyday and it's natural to wonder what it is.

Here's a few things people have thought it was many years ago - a camera, a gps locator device (like a lojack for kids), a lollipop, a radio

Lisa