bi-lateral CI or not??

heather22

Looking for some advice!! I am considering getting a bi-lateral implant. I just received my first CI in April 2014 and am hearing at 30-35 db. Super happy with my results so far!!  I am still able to hear 60-80 db through my hearing aid (except for no sounds in the higher frequencies) so my hearing aid still is somewhat functional.  Anyone with similar situations that are now bi-lateral??  I'm concerned about the overall hearing with 2 CI's. My hearing aid does bring in some of the  lower tones that still allows me to hear naturally.  I'd appreciate any advice!!

Hi there.

My hearing with my remaining HA was worse than yours and even though I don't hear as many low tones now I do think I understand speech better with 2 CIs than when I had 1 CI/1 HA.

If you, on the other hand, are doing well with your current set-up I think you should wait before going bilateral.

Chances are your hearing will naturally deteriorate in the HA ear over time and you can do it then, but if you enjoy the low tones and are feeling functional with the bimodal combo, I say: don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Hi Heather,

Lisa does bring up a good point about waiting until you HA is totally ineffective. I suggest waiting but for a different reason. The FDA is reviewing the SONNET BTE and that promises to be a quantum improvement over the OPUS.  I was bimodal for 5 months and learned that my HA ear had lost another 50% of its ability to process sound intelligibly during that timeframe.

Bilateral is much better than bimodal and I enjoy being able to determine sound directionality and having the sounds sound identical on both sides.

• 1 year later...

This topic is exactly what im looking for!

Need your advise guys: my son been implanted bimodal with MEDEL Concerto/opus2 at 3y old, now he is 3,6y old. Now are thinking to get second one, believing it will be stereo surround effect and helpful. But local AUDI said, that its useless to get second implant for kids development and hearing improvement !? AUDI insists that it will be no effect if we go for second after 6months since 1st implanted. Is it true?? Now confused.

Even if we get a second implant, should it be the same implant type as first one ( both Concerto implant/opus2 or may be different?) ?

Any feedback welcome

thanks 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi - Lisa and John are not active here unfortunately but I guess we will collect enough informations for you through other topics. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I responded on your other topic.