Sore head.. Amade magnet.. Bonebridge

sophiea2410

Hi all.

I had my bonebridge implanted on the 16th June and was activated on the 22nd July.

For the first 2 days I had a really bad headache and it felt really sore around the implant site.. So I got the weaker magnet.. I started with strength 3 and now I have strength 2..

However, for 5 days of using the strength 2 magnet everything was good, I was on top of the world.. Until a few days ago my head started getting really sore again and I keep having to remove the amade.

Has anyone else had the same problem? How long did it take for your skin to get use to being intruded by a magnet?

Thank you.

Hi Sophie,

I don't have an answer for you, seeing as my implant is fresh and hasn't been activated yet. I do have a question, though: how fast is it to get a different strength of magnet?

Sorry to hear about the sore head... think I read somewhere else on here that it took a while to get used to. All worth it in the end, I'm sure!

Hi Anete,

I just rang my audiologist and she left one at the desk for me to pick up the next day.. But I am fortunate enough to be English and have the NHS.. Im presuming because your in Canada this has cost you??

I hope so! Thank you :)

xx

You may have a thin skin flap and need an even lower strength magnet.

I'm still using the #4 magnet on my new processor but am waiting for that soreness that will tell me its time to switch to the #3.

I used a #4 for a long time on my older implant/processor but eventually switched to #3, which I still use on that one.  I think I have a fat head (lol).

Thank you, I was using #3. Im now using #2 so surely I cant need the weakest one.

So i presume with your signature you have CI's? I didn't know they was magnets..

Ive spoken to my audiologist who says my skin just needs to get use to it.

Wishing these headaches away!

Sophs xxx

Yes, cochlear implants use magnets so the external part has a way of communicating with the internal part.

I'm a little concerned that your audi tells your your skin has to 'just get used to it'.  Mine carefully checks my skin at each visit because too much pressure from the magnet will cut off blood flow to that spot and can create a sore - which we CERTAINLY don't want anywhere around our implants!

Why not try a lighter magnet?  We all have different skin/flap thicknesses and they make the #1 magnets for a reason.

Using the #2 magnet isn't making the implant site sore like the #3 did.. Its the headaches when I say to get use to it if you get me?

Did you get headaches for a while after due to attaching something to your head??

I regulary check the skin and I have never noticed redness, even when using the #3 was really painful xx

• HearPeers Heroes

Sophie, are you sure that headache is from BB - I wouldn't say.Undecided

Do you have possibly some neck issues, cervical muscles pain because this all can be a source of pain which you can feel behind the ear as headache.

Reading all lines here, I had to have a very fat head ;) Because I started with Nr. 3 (my Med-El representative feared that it would be to strong), however I had few accidental falls of outer unit and decided to magnet Nr. 4. I feel perfect - nothing to concern. And mine implant is not even fully implanted because of some malformed mastoid structures.

There were few times when I thought that I have some reaction to BB but then I realized that pain was coming from back, my neck and coming in front.  No skin reaction too, and if you had BB reaction, I bet it would start with local skin irritation: swelling, red and painful local reaction to the spot palpation.

Hi !

You all have very thin skin Smile

I'm wearing No. 5 both sides and on the right side it could be No. 6 Wink

OK, it takes some time. I had a few more problems on the left side. The healing was better, but I had a lot of pressure on the facial nerve. This produces some headache. It will gone away, don't worry.

Thomas

No neck issues, Ive been told a headache is normal (we've had a big chunk of skull drilled out and an implant but in place) and I've spoken to a fair few people with the implant who have confirmed its normal.

It takes roughly 2 months for all the swelling and bruising to go down after the op.

I did get alot of irratation and sore around the implant sire with magnet #3 but the #2 is much better.

I need the other side doing so hoping to get the 2nd op date for my right side in September.

While I had the processor it didn't matter which magnet I used I had headaches until it stopped after a few months. I guess it took some time for my head to accept the implant.

but I lost my processor because even the strongest magnet is unable hold the processor. Has anyone experience the same problem?

I can't believe MEDEL charges 8000 $ for processor and does not give any means to hold it securely!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Sophie, I had my CI and started with #3, found it hurt and irritated my skin so switched to #2. Your headaches could also be due to sensory overkill. We are processing so much, your brain might be telling you to slow down. My audiologist gave me 4 programs, the first my everyday one, the second a little louder, the third my old program and the fourth for music and tv. I'm now on program 2 and do find that the loudness can give me a headache. Keep us informed.

While I had the processor it didn't matter which magnet I used I had headaches until it stopped after a few months. I guess it took some time for my head to accept the implant.

but I lost my processor because even the strongest magnet is unable hold the processor. Has anyone experience the same problem?

I can't believe MEDEL charges 8000 $ for processor and does not give any means to hold it securely!!

Look here :

http://hearpeers.com/forum/?action=goto&my_flags=1#topic/Amand%C3%A9-and-Piercing.htm

Thomas

Hi guys,

Im glad its not just me experiencing these headaches then. I'm going to need an implant on my right side and the headaches keep putting me off!

Wow 8000$ just for the processor! So how much was the implant. I feel so lucky to have the NHS.

I have 3 programmes, a general one, one that cuts out background noise and one for music/tv. I need the background noise and tv one turning up I think because Im still struggling, but then that could be because I need the other side Implanting.

:)

Wow 8000$ just for the processor! So how much was the implant. I feel so lucky to have the NHS.

28,000€ summary bilateral Laughing

Thomas

That is such alot of money. so 14000 Euro an implant. Is that a set price from Med-el or does it depend what country your in?

The NHS says it cost them 10'000 Sterling an implant.

Sophs xx

Summary 14,0000€ (the implant, the surgery and the processor).  But it depends a litte bit of your docs, hospital and your insurance.

Thomas

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi people

The cost of implant is 9.400 EUR and it is same everywhere - the rest is the cost of the operation. This is the official data.

In Croatia the cost of the operation is approximately 1.000 EUR, even less.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Vardas,

Do you use a clip which came with the outer unit? I find it pretty efficient when I started to notice that my device easily falls down.?

What was the strength of your magnet? What actually happened with it?

• HearPeers Heroes

No neck issues, Ive been told a headache is normal (we've had a big chunk of skull drilled out and an implant but in place) and I've spoken to a fair few people with the implant who have confirmed its normal.

It takes roughly 2 months for all the swelling and bruising to go down after the op.

I did get alot of irratation and sore around the implant sire with magnet #3 but the #2 is much better.

I need the other side doing so hoping to get the 2nd op date for my right side in September.

Well, I did not experience those problem but, on the other side - I do not react typically as others. Swelling went even before a month and I did not have any pain. But, this is individual - various peopel variously react to an ear surgery for instance: some of them do not feel it, some have craziest pain they have ever felt. :(

Does your outer unit sits securely on your head without falling off?

Ye the only time the processor 'The magic ear' as i call it haha.. Never falls off unless I knock it, and I only have a #2.

I really cant get over the cost of the implant. Thats a mortgage deposit!

So have you all gone up in the strength of the magnet over time?

Sophs xx

• HearPeers Heroes

Ye the only time the processor 'The magic ear' as i call it haha.. Never falls off unless I knock it, and I only have a #2.

I really cant get over the cost of the implant. Thats a mortgage deposit!

So have you all gone up in the strength of the magnet over time?

Sophs xx

And there are different conditions of earning money in the world - significantly.

But, at least price is fixed for Europe - some other producers of hearing solutions make discrimination regarding the state.

I am perfectly stable, Nr. 4 after few accidental knocking off my head of BB with Nr. 3 magnet by my own head. Now some force has to be use to knock it down. And I am perfectly satisfied because I am sure it will not fall down.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting how different everyone is.  I've been luckier than most I now realise.  I was first fitted with a No 3 magnet, but within a few minutes I could tell that it didn't feel secure enough, so was given a No 4.  I wore it for 10 hours the first day, and have worn it for around 15 or 16 hours a day every day since then, which was a little over six months ago.  Once I put the Amade on I can't feel it at all and completely forget it's there.  I use the clip under my hair because I tend to run my fingers through my hair, or brush it and knock it off before I remember it's there. It's totally comfortable and I haven't had any soreness of any kind - several times I've forgotten to take it off when I've gone to bed and have only remembered when I've laid on it.  I count myself lucky that it's been so easy for me - clearly I have a very thick head!

With regard to headaches, I used to have an almost permanent, severe headache from straining to hear all day, but since my Bonebridge was activated the headaches have become a thing of the past which is one of the real advantages of having it.

Wow fab, its mad how we're all different. I wasn't sure whether its because we're all my different counties but your UK to?

Who did your surgery?

Soph xxx

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... I am not from UK. :)

But I am signing each Jenny's word except I wear my BB even during my sleep - nothing had ever happened: I didn't play ping-pong with my BB in the bed. ;)