Noise from CI

Lilly

Hi I am new to the forum had implant surgery in right ear on July 30, was activated on Aug 20. I have so many pings and sounds coming from the CI it is really loud is that normal. I do hear voices but sound sort of like in a barrel. But I do hear them. Some voices are clearer than others. Guess what I am trying to say is the pings are so loud when I hear the voices it overrides the voices. But when I turn the volume up on the tv I hear it better. Of course can't with family around too loud for them. I understand. Is this just going to take time with the mapping. I wear a hearing aid in left ear.  I'm hearing all the sounds of a spoon hitting the bowl and the phone rings it is a pinging sound all I can explain. This weekend at church I heard the base of the guitar that was wild. I do have trouble with commercials on the tv, cause I can't read the lips (habit). I get really tired if I wear it too long, and I have to take it out and rest. I go back to work in a week. Wondering any advice would be great.

Thanks

Reva

It's quite normal to experience what you are experiencing.  The "barrel" effect will diminish over time.  Just keep practicing.  Make lots of noise.  It's like learning to hear for the very first time.  And it's very common to feel exhausted.  Give the brain a rest.

Thanks for the input I appreciate. I will continue to practice and give it time.

Reva

• 2 weeks later...

The best advice I received was to listen to familiar noises especially your favourite CD over and over again. This helps to train the brain

good luck

The best advice I received was to listen to familiar noises especially your favourite CD over and over again. This helps to train the brain

good luck