Undecided

colorado

I'm in need of advice, I'm scheduled to be implanted on Oct 8, 2014 in my right hear which is !00% deaf,my question is:

Should I go ahead with the operation or wait on the FDA to approve the Synchrony, and does anyone know how long the FDA usually takes to approve a new device?

Thanks

I have a cochlear implant for Single Sided Deafness as well. (Same Ear) I have been activated since January and still do not regret my decision. The earlier you receive the device from the time that you lost hearing, the faster you tend to gain it back. Even though I have had hearing loss since I was very young (if not my whole life), I am still slowly gaining hearing from the implant. If you have had hearing prior to your loss chances are that you will gain more hearing with the implant at a much faster rate than I have. Good luck to you!

Go ahead and do it. It may be a year or more until its approved in the US. And...like anything electronic, by the time it comes out the next new thing will be around the corner. Now, as to the Opus 2 audio processor. If your Med-El supplies come with 2 Opus 2s - Many come with 2, 1 as a back-up - DO NOT unwrap the second one!! Instead, trade it in for the newer Sonnet audio processor when it comes out. It will work with the current Concert implant no problem. And besides, right now you get a free Rondo until this Dec 31!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm in need of advice, I'm scheduled to be implanted on Oct 8, 2014 in my right hear which is !00% deaf,my question is:

Should I go ahead with the operation or wait on the FDA to approve the Synchrony, and does anyone know how long the FDA usually takes to approve a new device?

Thanks

Don't worry - internal unit is never so much different, outer unit is the piece which is improved all the time.

Med-EL just posted a new promotion good until the end of 2014. Look on the front page of their site..and http://s3.medel.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Two-Ways-to-Hear/24798.pdf

Ivana...This time the new internal unit will offer at least one serious difference. Synchrony will allow you to get an MRI of up to 3.0T without removing the magnets of the internal device. Currently, the existing Concert unit goes ONLY up to 1.5T. Thus, you can get a much higher resolution MRI - if needed - without having to surgically remove the internal magnets.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ken,

this is true indeed what you are writing but as a medical professional I consider that 1,5T is enough for most of radiological researchers for clinical purposes. From practice, I have knowledge that some observations were made with even stronger MR.

BR.

Ivana,

That may be your opinion, but radiologists have their own perspective as to if 1.5T or 3T is needed for a certain situation. Personally, I'd much rather have the option to go to 3.0. And even more important, MedEl thought it was critical enough to spend to time and resources to develop this new technological advance.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by: " From practice, I have knowledge that some observations were made with even stronger MR.." What did you want to say?

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hello Ken,

it is not my personal than professional opinion. There can be some indication where you would require "stronger" magnet but in most cases it is just not justified to insist - this means more expensive equipment and investigation.

Med-El offered this novelty as further improvement but in professional matter it is not the matter of life. Good radiologist will make good scan even with 1,5T. On the other way, what would say the CI recipient of older versions and different companies?

Technology can not make better doctor without personal improvements - this is the core of good professional.

BR.

• 1 year later...

Hello Ivana,

Just quick inquiry.

My son got medel Concerto implant  6month ago. So, going through MRI/X-RAYs for brain scanning will be OK without damaging implant inside? 

And we are going to have second implant soon, probably need to re-scan on MRI for surgical purposes.

thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello,

That you should check with your surgeon - it depends on the strength of used MR but generally it is ok.

The second implantation will be with Synchrony which has better characteristics for using in these purposes.