computer programs in helping hearing and listening

kim4_God

Hello my name is Kimberly Collins .  I am new to this forum but am anxious to get helpful information for my daughter. she has bilateral CI implants in the last 3 years.   I'm wondering if there are  computer programs that are used to help  the CI recipient strengthen their listening skills that I can purchase. She is in her first year of high school and she would like to have something to go to that will assist her in continuing better hearing.

Yes, there are programs that can help her with her listening levels. Some of the more basic one for cochlear implant users include what is called Angel Sound (Advanced bionics) also the equivalent from Cochlear America is called Sound and Way Beyond. It has basic settings for what are known as "closed setting" where you pick from a set of options as to what you have heard and more advanced settings that help with the more life life "open settings". Also there are specific things to help with telephone communication and listening for specific information in noisy situations. I hope that this information is helpful to you. There are many other apps that can be helpful, but one of the main things that will help is knowing to have a personal audio cable to assist with these computer programs. (You probably already knew that and also know that with the remote device(s) for the cochlear implants from the audiologist can help your daughter focus the sound received through the cochlear implant to specifically listen through the auditory cable and not environmental sounds.) Is there a more specific part of her listening skills that she is trying to focus on?

Hi Kimberly,

MED-EL also has interactive listening games under our Soundscape section at: http://www.medel.com/us/soundscape/

Additionally, we have a catalog of rehabilitation materials that cover from pediatric through adult age ranges which you can find here: http://www.medel.com/us/bridge-downloads

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!