dizziness, and implanted ear in the fullness

melchang

Hi,

I had Med-El EAS unilateral cochlear implant last Thursday morning.  Everything was okay in the first night post surgery, even I could tell my residual hearing was preserved.  I lifted my dog (17lbs), ate heavy food, and listened to music with one earpiece in my unimplanted ear.  However, something was wrong last Friday night. After tinnitus occurred for couple of minutes, I felt dizziness, and air pressure or fullness in my implanted ear. The vertigo gets worse when I lie down or raise my head.  I feel dizzy and nauseous when walking my dog longer than 15 minutes.  The air pressure in my implanted ear is never gone, sometimes affects hearing ability of my unimplanted ear.

Just want to know if this symptoms are normal in cochlear implant post surgery or not?

Thanks,

Mel

Hi Mel,

You should call your clinic if you are having any post surgical issues. They are best equipped to answer what is normal and what may need a follow up.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your response.  I've been seeing my surgeon one week after surgery.  He couldn't find anything wrong with my implanted ear, it sounded like middle ear fluid.  The surgeon said my symptoms were common among CI recipients, and I had no CSF leak or Perilymph fluid leak, so he didn't recommend any CT scan.  According to what he said, fluid will be clear in a month.

Best,

Mel

• 1 month later...

Calm down. All your symptoms are quite normal. Terrible dizzy/vertigo for over 3 weeks after the surgery. Bad pain for 2 weeks handled by pain meds. IMO, there is not enough discussion about the potential bad post-surgical symptoms, etc. that can occur. For me it was far from the easy, out patient procedure you read about so often. I was very happy that my surgeon had a mandatory one night stay in the hospital policy. I definitely needed it. All of the problems went away and I am enjoying my CI.

• 3 weeks later...

Calm down. All your symptoms are quite normal. Terrible dizzy/vertigo for over 3 weeks after the surgery. Bad pain for 2 weeks handled by pain meds. IMO, there is not enough discussion about the potential bad post-surgical symptoms, etc. that can occur. For me it was far from the easy, out patient procedure you read about so often. I was very happy that my surgeon had a mandatory one night stay in the hospital policy. I definitely needed it. All of the problems went away and I am enjoying my CI.

Hi Ken,

Thank you so much for your response.  It's over 2 months post-op, fluid is still full in the ear, loud tinnitus becomes worse after switching on CI or wearing earphone to listen to music.  I rarely wear audio processor due to severe tinnitus and little bit dizziness.  Two weeks later my audiologist will turn on HA.  So far I lost 20db hearing after post-op.  The audiogram report of unimplanted ear indicated the hearing was the same as pre-op, but I can tell the unimplanted ear literally lose some hearing when I talked face-to-face.  I requested CT-scan, but my surgeon didn't recommend it in 3 months post-op.  He said there was no better way to cure tinnitus, so he advised I needed to wait to see if any conditions could be improved next January.

If any conditions can't be improved and no any further action to be taken next January, I have to transfer to UCSF and give up EAS trial since UCSF is not partner with Med-El in EAS trial.

Have a wonderful holiday season,

Melissa