Earmold HA associated with EAS

Ron2010

I have been approved for CI/EAS, I will be meeting with the medical team associated with the implant next week. My question is I was totally taken back by the earmold HA associated with the CI. I currently have Siemens Pure Carat behind the ear HAs and enjoy the feel and breathability of them. Does anyone know why MED-EL is not offering similar devices with their EAS?

Thanks for any input.

I have been approved for CI/EAS, I will be meeting with the medical team associated with the implant next week. My question is I was totally taken back by the earmold HA associated with the CI. I currently have Siemens Pure Carat behind the ear HAs and enjoy the feel and breathability of them. Does anyone know why MED-EL is not offering similar devices with their EAS? Thanks for any input.

Hi Ron,

I asked similar questions to an audiologist in Med-El U.S. headquarter.

Med-El launched its 1st gen. of EAS cochlear implant with DUET audio processor in 2005.  In 2010 Med-El launched 2nd generation of EAS CI with sonata ti 100 system and more advanced audio processor DUET 2.  The latest generation of EAS CI with Synchrony system and Sonnet audio processor was launched in 2013/2014.

EAS CI is in trial and has not been approved by FDA yet, that's why EAS recipients received Pulsar or Sonata internal device and DUET audio processor. Med-El wants to keep recipients in consistence with trial, and doesn't want to upgrade to DUET 2 and Sonnet during trial.  After trial is done and submitted to FDA, Med-El will upgrade all EAS system to the latest technology.

I talked to several people in Med-El U.S., it seemed they might submit the trial data to FDA in 2016, unfortunately all of them were not sure yet.

-- Mel

EAS CI recipients may have higher rates of exposure to fluid leakage in middle ear/inner ear post-op.  I have no data to prove it, just reached a conclusion after widely visited EAS/Hybrid CI recipients blogs and forums.  It's very important to discuss symptoms of post-op with your surgeon.  Also, you need to be cautious the first week after surgery.  Don't blow your nose, Don't sneeze, Don't bend your head down, Don't eat heavy food, Don't press your implanted area, Don't wash your hair in 3 days post-op.