Rondò 3 or Kanso 2 ?

Angelo

Hello I have to decide quickly between Rondo 3 and Kanso 2 can anyone give me their own positive or negative experiences? aesthetically the kanso 2 is a little smaller, but I understand that the inside of the Rondò is more updated. for connectivity are there important differences between the 2 models (TV, telephone, meetings ...)? how do you feel with one or the other? do they come off often? Thanks for your help

Edited by Angelo
wron text

• HearPeers Heroes

@Angelo

Congratulations on your upcoming CI! Exciting!

While it is popular to just compare external processors (Rondo 3 and Kanso 2), it is important to remember that the external processors change quite frequently.  The connectivity options change even faster it seems.

We will hopefully have our internal CI components for decades.  They determine how things sound to us.  So you may want to also compare internal components.  Just a suggestion.

Rondo 3 was just released in the US but has been released in other countries for a bit longer.  We have a few Rondo 3 users here at the moment.  More to come soon.

Wishing you the very best on your journey.  CIs are amazing!

• Like 3

The Kanso 2 has direct streaming with Smartphones.
I find it very important and beneficial.

You are right. But you should keep in mind that the outer parts can easily be changed over time. So for me it was more important how the implant itself is working and what my surgeon is most experienced with.

• 2 months later...

Ok Dani.

My surgeon implants both Cochlear and Medel.  If connectivity is better in Kanso2, why should I choose Rondó3?  What are the other selection criteria?

• HearPeers Heroes

@TheMagneticBaldMan

For me the best CI is about the internal components.  Check this link out and scroll down to closer to natural hearing.

https://blog.medel.pro/rondo-3-new-cochlear-implant-audio-processor/

in order for Kanso to be dedicated to the Resound hearing aids, they need to "dumb-down" the implants capabilities to be in sync with the limitations of a hearing aid.  So you get bi-modal with one click but at the cost of what you might be able to hear with an implant vs limits of a hearing aid (which is merely an amplifier)

vs the Rondo which you can use any brand hearing aid in the other ear but would need to pair them individually.

But truthfully, I hear so well with the Rondo that I often will only connect one ear to whatever I am listening to so that I can control other factors for the environment I am in with the other, or not wear any device like in a motorcycle helmet.  I love the Artone MAX3 neckloop for when I'm using loud machinery to listen to whatever I wish.  Otherwise, I often just go on about life like a regular hearing person now that I am bilaterally implanted.

Indeed, the internal electrode is superior in my research, which is really what connects with your brain to interpret sound.  Connectivity with the external is a competition thing.  They all expand options over time

Hi Mary Beth, I don't know here to give credit to these "advertisements", it reminds me of the pulsed light IC that artfully modifies the sounds in their simulations to make you think you are better: https://www.optogentech.com.  Isn't there an independent site with these ratings?

Hi Sinker, I am not a native speaker of English, some parts of your speech, especially the central one, I have to interpret calmly.

I understand that, for example the Oticon More, they couple with any IC of the latest generation, so not only resound with Kanso2.

So is medel symphony electrode which better than cochlear or AB?  Can you give me some evidence?

Personally--and this is after doing a lot of research--I feel that MEDEL internal components, particularly the electrode array, is superior to Cochlear's for a variety of reasons. MEDEL's "virtual electrode" stimulation creates 250 spectral bands, while rarely, if ever interfering with each other (a very common occurrence in Cochlear arrays because of the large amount of closely spaced electrodes). Aside from that, MEDEL coding strategies are more advanced, in my opinion, and include timing information that makes sound natural, particularly music. Cochlear is a great company, and their accessories are cool, but I just feel their internal tech is just not as advanced as MEDEL's. I've had this discussion with electrical engineers working in the CI industry and they feel the same.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Currently, a candidate for cochlear implant, which I have no doubts that I will be a user soon. Acoustic neuroma 2013 left ear, SSHL right ear Sept. 2021.
Questions on the differences between the Kanso 2 and the Rondo 3 in terms of the accessories, Streaming music audio and tv audio are important for me as I love music, I practice acoustic guitar mostly now , I’ve put down the Les Paul ( electric) can’t hear the acoustic guitar but I can feel the vibrations  and I remember what the chords sound like.
I’m leaning towards the Rondo 3, battery life is a concern since I will be streaming audio.
So are the accessories for the Kanso 2 more superior than the Rondo 3 ?  If they are ,is it that much of a difference in convenience, in terms of additional devices, streaming range, quality of the devices used for streaming and phone calls? 
There also seems to be a difference in the ability for the processors to remain in place,  some Kanso 2 users seem to have problems with the device staying in place. I have not come across any information that suggests the Rondo 3 has that issue. 
Is the Rondo 3 up to date in the States, in line with other countries ( advanced noise canceling, automatic environment adjustments) there is a acronym, but it escapes me ( asm2 vs asm3) ?

Thank you for any additional information you can provide,

Mark

• HearPeers Heroes

@Msz3

wishing you the best on your CI journey.

The factors that have the most impact on how music sounds to us with CIs, are the internal components of the CI and the processing.  I encourage you to explore the internal components.

Rondo 3 has ASM 3 features active in the US now.

Read up on the new S vector magnet which improves retention.  Med-El has several posts online about it.

I have been implanted for over 6 years and the connectivity options have changed so many times already.  There is a lot of rapid changes in connectivity options for CIs at the moment.

Interesting how do you choose which set of internal components from different companies are best sounding to you as a CI candidate ?

Im new at being completely deaf , so questions and researching keeps me occupied, the more research the more questions.

Being that hearing is subjective with everyone, unless one CI recipient had the current CI and processor from two different companies to be able to compare which one was better for him/ her , and that would be just for him/ her.

I have not ran into that scenario , don’t expect to either.  
I know Med-el has it appears the superior CI, how can one know if Cochlear's CI is that much different sounding better or worse?

Just contemplating the guess work that’s involved with my new journey.

Thank for your kind replies Mary Beth.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Msz3

It is quite challenging isn’t it?  There are people who have personal experience with 2 brands, either different brands on each side or a reimplantation with a different brand.  But it is definitely not common.

Below is a post where I gathered up all the ways I shared my CI journey online when asked.  If you are interested in following those links you will see why I chose Med-El, my activation, going bilateral and my CI & music journey.

Keep researching and learning from others.  I wish you the very best.

This link is how you can connect with a Med-El regional rep on your area

https://web.cvent.com/event/bf4df0f5-e7e8-4282-9a9f-a09de31f4fc2/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

On 11/11/2021 at 10:42 AM, Msz3 said:

Currently, a candidate for cochlear implant, which I have no doubts that I will be a user soon. Acoustic neuroma 2013 left ear, SSHL right ear Sept. 2021.
Questions on the differences between the Kanso 2 and the Rondo 3 in terms of the accessories, Streaming music audio and tv audio are important for me as I love music, I practice acoustic guitar mostly now , I’ve put down the Les Paul ( electric) can’t hear the acoustic guitar but I can feel the vibrations  and I remember what the chords sound like.
I’m leaning towards the Rondo 3, battery life is a concern since I will be streaming audio.
So are the accessories for the Kanso 2 more superior than the Rondo 3 ?  If they are ,is it that much of a difference in convenience, in terms of additional devices, streaming range, quality of the devices used for streaming and phone calls? 
There also seems to be a difference in the ability for the processors to remain in place,  some Kanso 2 users seem to have problems with the device staying in place. I have not come across any information that suggests the Rondo 3 has that issue. 
Is the Rondo 3 up to date in the States, in line with other countries ( advanced noise canceling, automatic environment adjustments) there is a acronym, but it escapes me ( asm2 vs asm3) ?

Thank you for any additional information you can provide,

Mark

I already listed in an earlier post my view that MedEl is the superior internal tech and coding strategies to Cochlear, particularly for music, so I won't bother with a comparison. However, you won't be able to stream very good quality audio with the Rondo 3. It can only use the Audiolink for this purpose, and many/most people complain about that device and its poor quality audio for music.

I recommend the Sonnet 2+AudioStream. If you go to a 2-processor implant center, you can get both the Sonnet and the Rondo if you really want the 1-piece processor, though many people tend to prefer the BTE style to the 1-piece. The Rondo has the same issues staying in place as the Kanso. That is usually a result of individual physiology and not design.

Interesting,  thank you for your input, helps to try and figure out so many different options that are available. 

Thank you StarStuff,

Although I know I have time to figure it all out , there are times I feel I have to make an early decision. 

I'd rather be ahead in my decision making than going into it not prepared. 

Thanks Mary Beth again!