Distorted Static when processor is Off

John R

I had some residual hearing prior to my surgery (440hz), and of course the dream was Hearing Preservation post surgery, but that has not been the case.

some but very little lower frequencies remain. ( approximately 180-220hz )

My question though is when my processor is off.

showering, riding my Harley (helmet on) sounds that do come through my implanted ear best resemble an electric static, even an insect bug zapper.

I played music into that ear using headphones and same. Distorted radio static,

crazy to think the sound resembles electronic poor connections or electricity yet there is no power/ processor connected.

even as if the noise vibrates and moves the implant inside the cochlear creating static.

I read everywhere and was warned about the “Underwater Robotic Voices” they are alive and well in my head right now, Dr Who’s Darlek’s screaming “exterminate”

but with no processor my Harley now sounding like a bug zapper, showering (water hitting my head ) now sounding like I’m about to electrocute myself, that I was not prepared for.

is this familiar to anyone else?

thank you all.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

When your processor is off, do you ever hear the buzzing sound when nothing is hitting your head?  Like a constant buzzing sound when the processor is off?

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@John R

When your processor is off, do you ever hear the buzzing sound when nothing is hitting your head?  Like a constant buzzing sound when the processor is off?

No, it’s definitely when there is volume based sound. Low mid frequencies seem to be more sensitive, I’m estimating around 350 - 450hz. Haven’t accurately tested yet, but my guesses are typically close.

if it was during pure silence I would have thought it a new tinnitus. This is most definitely external sounds causing an internal disturbance.

the first time I yawned post surgery I thought my ear was going to explode it was so loud.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

hmm... I have read about people who hear musical sounds when they touch their ear on the implant side, people who hear a tone when they yawn, people who have pulsatile tinnitus in time with their pulse beats, people who hear tones when they wash their hair..... but no one has described these sounds as loud.

6 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

but no one has described these sounds as loud.

Loud and near explosive, I have / had really bad Recruitment that random frequencies can literally black you out, ( fire alarms, Car Alarms, sudden bangs etc ) Technically that is no longer possible with a CI, however I am most certainly experiencing something, 

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R Strange question but is your implant side ear still popping and equalizing? Your statement about when you yawned made me think of my experience when I yawned after surgery and when I threw up.....it was like a loud pop and I scared myself! There was also a sharp pain from the pressure. My new ear also made a bubbling and static noise for a while when it was equalizing. And yay me, I've had a persistent humming and buzzing in my head since surgery. 

Hope you and your CI team are able to figure it out soon 🤞

4 hours ago, Megan L. said:

is your implant side ear still popping and equalizing?

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. no one has mentioned to me that this is what can happen. 

I totally have the buzzing and static, 

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Nobody told me either that my ears would pop for a month or so after surgery until I asked my surgeon about it at post op when I got my first CI. My second ear is still popping a little bit 4 weeks later but not as much. So the pressure has pretty much equalized 👍 

My first ear sang the First Noel until activation and had ringing. The ringing has since subsided significantly but I can’t remember how long it took. I’m hoping my humming and buzzing subsides now that I have sound going in 🤞

4 hours ago, Megan L. said:

@John R Strange question but is your implant side ear still popping and equalizing? Your statement about when you yawned made me think of my experience when I yawned after surgery and when I threw up.....it was like a loud pop and I scared myself! There was also a sharp pain from the pressure. My new ear also made a bubbling and static noise for a while when it was equalizing. And yay me, I've had a persistent humming and buzzing in my head since surgery. 

Hope you and your CI team are able to figure it out soon 🤞

I guess it must be, these forums are huge for information, as obviously there are so many details and variations that are different. I guess Audiologists etc forget to warn you about all the possibilities. Then the wait between visits is so long and so many new things happen its both amazing but also frustrating and stressful 

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Its a possibility and it never hurts to double check 👍 Keep us posted! Hope you have some relief from all the noises soon 🤞