activated 2 days ago, is this normal ?

gah171

Hello, I got activated 2 days ago. I can hear sounds, if you want to call it that. most of what I'm hearing with my ci reminds me of the sound you hear when driving an old ratty vehicle with the window cracked open." wind noise".  When I try to listen to a somewhat loud tv it sounds like sirens going off.

Audiologist says she doesn't want to overwhelm me, just get me started, I feel like all I'm getting from my CI is "activity" in my ci ear. I go back in 2 weeks for more "tuning" hope it gets better than this?

It does improve with time. Do you have a personal audio cable? If that is the case you can start practicing with the sound and way beyond program or angel sound program to test which pitches you can identify with the ci as being different and then continue to practice with more difficult settings as you progress. I had very similar experiences with "wind-tunnel" sounds after I was first activated. Just out of curiosity are you having this done for unilateral or bilateral deafness?

This is my first ci . hearing in my left ear with HA I get about 80% words right with no back ground noise. my implant ear is about 20%. I've had hearing aids since 1st grade. I'm 56 now.  I got activated  4 days ago. On my fine tuner most features are deactivated, I can't adjust volume or use t coil or anything til audi activates it. I have 4 programs to choose from on my fine tuner. program 1 is quietest and 4 is loudest. 4 is the only one I use. I haven't heard from my audi. I think all she wants to do right now is stimulate my ci ear, which it's doing. I can't make anything out. I can hear crumbing of newspaper as I read, the dangling of my pets dog tags, I can't make out speech. this is with CI only, HA turned off. even though things sound different, I wish programs 1-4 were louder. she did say she didn't want to overwhelm me, says there is more.

Some of her response is understandable, but having an audio cable and using either the sound and way beyond program or angel sound program will allow you to slowly work you way up before you next mapping with the audiologist. You mentioned recognizing some environmental sounds and that is one of the first levels on the programs! Try to do what you can to that affect and once you have success with one level, move on to the next. Using this personal tool give you more control over advancement.

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Gary, it has been a few months now.

How are you progressing at this point?

Adam

Hello all,

First time here, but I just got activate one week ago and at the beginning all the voices came out as "Donald duck" voices. TV was not an option not to mention cell phone. However one after today tv is start coming clear and not all the voices are funny anymore. My audiologist told me that sometimes can be slow process but it will get bette .

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Rosasantos,

This is perfectly normal - this means that your brain is adapting according new input: your hearing. Brain is like muscle: you don't use it - it atrophies.

Try also with simplier input; talk as much as you can with familiar people, read child books...

Don't worry about phone - you need time for that.

And keep us informed about your progress!

• HearPeers Heroes

Rosa santos

I was the same way. Everybody sounded like cartoon characters. Don't worry though. Things will settle down soon enough. Try to practice as much as you can. Congratulations on your activation. Please know that you can always come to us for questions comments support. We are all in this together.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I got activated 2 days ago. I can hear sounds, if you want to call it that. most of what I'm hearing with my ci reminds me of the sound you hear when driving an old ratty vehicle with the window cracked open." wind noise".  When I try to listen to a somewhat loud tv it sounds like sirens going off.

Audiologist says she doesn't want to overwhelm me, just get me started, I feel like all I'm getting from my CI is "activity" in my ci ear. I go back in 2 weeks for more "tuning" hope it gets better than this?

Hi! My name is Suzee and I got my CI on May 8, 2015. What you heard when you got activated was 'normal' I'm guessing. after my second Adjustment just recently, I literally am walking on air!! i still hear sounds I can't yet ID but I have heard the leaves whisper in higher winds, I have heard cicadas (haven't for years), and I have heard my cats meow to me and each other!! I cried... I'm so happy i got my CI! How are you liking yours now? You have had it longer than me. My head still hurts and LOUD noises still hurt my ears, like I have an ear infection. But it has only been a little over a month and a half right now since it was implanted. I am looking forward to great improvements! LMBO

• HearPeers Heroes

Size

The full feeling you have, will go away over time, of course not as fast a we would like. Cherish all of those victories! Most people could care less about the leaves and how crisp and clear they sound. I think what we have been through has given us the appreciation to not take anything for granted.

Keep some notes until your next mapping. If there are any ranges that are bothersome, your Audi can adjust those a a little lower and slowly raise them up. I had a real issue with electrode 12. My Audie turned it way down and each mapping raised it a little. It eventually got to where it should be.

Adam