CHOOSING AN IMPLANT FROM MED EL

TENNISBUM16

I was just approved for a CI and my doctor recommended Med El.  He gave me some reading material which describes different types made by Med El.  I will be doing my left ear first as that is the worst one with a speech

recognition of 4%.  I do qualify for both ears but the right is much better than the left so will do one at a time.  My doctor also said that in some cases just doing one somehow makes the other ear work better so we will see

what happens.  I am now trying to decide which Med El implant to get.  I am an avid tennis player and live in Florida so the heat is a factor.  Can anyone suggest which one would be better?  Maestro - Opus - Rondo

Hi Barbara. I've also been approved for a CI, and facing a similar decision. However based on my research, Maestro is the implant, while Opus 2 and Rondo are the external audio processors. So you are only faced with the choice between Opus 2, which is a behind the ear (BTE) device, or Rondo which is a single processor unit.

I would be interested to hear what other people have to say, because it seems to me the Rondo is bigger and therefore might shift or dislodge during strenuous activity. However a headband might remove that problem.

Hello , I am Murthy, located in new york city, I am also candidate for CI in left ear for now, on right ear using hearing aid.

I want to go ahear with left ear CI first in May, doctor gave me reading material same as you, will use Med-El as it allows MRI scan.

please advise.

The latest Med-El technologies SYNCHRONY implant and SONNET processor have been approved by FDA.  I think they might be available in the spring.  You can discuss with your ENT.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello,

you do not have opportunity to participate in 2 proc action? A lot of people used it last year but not certain if it is over?

Hard to tell which to prefer - Rond is little bigger but you do not worry about the strength of the attachment for your head because magnet is pretty powerfull thing.

On the other hand, if you need to wear glasses you have free ear.

Taking into account your tennis games - ou can put it in the special headband for sports activities . Also, Med-EL developed special waterproof case as the protection for water - you can use it as the protection against moisture.

So you do not have to worry.

BR.

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Murthy

The new il ant is MRI safe to a certain tesla strength of the machine they are using. I can't remember off the top of my head what strength. I would check the medel website as it gives this information.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Exact data is 3.0T ;)

Don't waste your time, waste the time of your med buddies! :P :P :P;):D :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Right again Ivana. I thought it might be 3.0 but since I was not positive, I did not want to say anything. That would be great for me but I am not going to get re implanted if my processor is working.

• HearPeers Heroes

Right again Ivana. I thought it might be 3.0 but since I was not positive, I did not want to say anything. That would be great for me but I am not going to get re implanted if my processor is working.

Better not - each preimplantation means that your electrode-nerve symbiosis will be disturb and anihilated: there is no need for that. Although you have good reason want better (your medical status at present) a good radiologist and confident surgeon will conclude the right diagnosis even on less perfect MR.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's right. I have done fine using CT scans