New Recipitant

cwoodrow55

Hello from Yukon, Oklahoma!  I am a newby here. My name is Carl but will be known as cwoodrow55 on here. I just had my CI activated last Friday. I use it on my right side with a hearing aid on my left. Just wanted to start out and say hi to all of you that are in the hearing implant community! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@cwoodrow55

Hi Carl!  And welcome to HearPeers!  We are a friendly group so feel free to share your CI journey and ask questions.

Which processor are you using?

I am using Sonnet 2 implant. I will address my issues and journey as others have  I have enjoyed seeing what you and others have said and has helped me get familiar with this adaption period. 

• Like 2

@cwoodrow55

Welcome Carl, I am just a few miles south of you, across the Red River in McKinney Texas. I was implanted on the left side in late August 2019 and activated in early September 2019. I have a Rondo 2 and a Sonnet 2 in which I alternate between the two. I would be happy to share my experiences, both successes and problems with you as you may have questions from time to time. 

Hi Tommy, glad to meet you.

Its been 1 week today and not a lot to talk about but that’s what I was wondering.

The main two things I have experienced is that the “feedback” noise is gone on such as when I use the “s” sound and certain noises like water running or opening potato chip bag is real loud but voices have seem to have diminish and are “muffled” out 

I read with closed captions and some words are easier to make out than others and the left ear with the hearing aid helps some. 

Question: Does this sound pretty normal or your experience similar and do you try to only use your CI only when doing reading exercises? And when did you start getting a noticeable improvement? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@cwoodrow55

My CI audiologist instructed me to spend several hours daily with only my CI.  I also worked on listening activities to help train my brain.  Check out our REHAB topic for how we trained our brains.

Here is a link to a free way to train our brains 

• 2 weeks later...

@cwoodrow55,

Welcome Carl! Glad you could find our lovely bunch. 😊

I hope you find it helpful.

Like Mary beth said, you can ask questions on here, and share your experiences - good or bad. We have Med el moderators on here too, that can help us when nobody else can answer a question (which is rare 😂)

We also have our monthly HearPeers video chats, where we share experiences, discuss current events, ask/answer questions, etc. 

If you're interested, keep an eye out for Mary Beth's invites (we just had our March chat, so next one will be in April).