Facial twitching...normal?

laura-jane-dillon

Hello all,

I am a new user on here having received an implant in December 2014 and activated on 14th January 2015. I have been doing well so far and have just been given the all clear until my three month review in May.

However, I have noticed that some sounds make my right eye (right ear was implanted) twitch. It is generally high pitched noises (such as glasses chinking together etc) that make the twitch occur and I have been told by those around me that it is not noticeable but it is obviously a little irritating for me.

I just wanted to find out whether other people have had a similar experience with this - I am aware that the implant is close to the facial nerves so this is probably not too big an issue - but I have not come across anyone else with a similar experience to me.

I look forward to hearing your stories!

Laura, London UK

I had a similar experience during one particular mapping for my CI. Tell your audiologist about it and that person should be able to make the minor adjustments that will get rid of the problem.

Thank you Winden.

I did indeed tell my audiologist and I was remapped but these mapping programmes I did not get on with, the sounds were all far too deep and made background noise more prominent - I preferred the speech and clarity on the map that made me twitch! Is it just a case of remapping and remapping until I find something that I like and doesn't make me twitch?

Laura

Dear Laura,

It is a combination of remapping and your individual effort with rehabilitation programs that will help you move forward. The face twitching can be the result of stimulating facial nerves which for a short time should not cause problems, but over time over stimulation could potentially cause problems (especially for something that already receives natural stimulation). The same way that too much light can cause eye issues and sounds that are too loud can cause hearing issues, over stimulation of the facial nerves could become an issue with time. When it happened at one of my mappings, I became excited about temporarily having better hearing with my CI as well. My audiologist became concerned and changed the settings. Now after more rehabilitative practice and other mappings since that time, I have made more progress forward. I know it's frustrating, but it takes time and effort.

Hang in there!

Sincerely,

Winden

Many thanks for the detailed response Winden. I'll be sure to mention it again to the audiologist in my review in May!

Laura

• 4 weeks later...

I can relate to that. My left eye twitches when I hear something loud. I asked my mom if that happens to her often, and she said yes (she has normal hearing). I guess it's normal. I'm sure the eye twitching thing will go away once you get used to hearing loud.

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Has this finally settled down for you?

Adam

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Jokiyo

These are 2 completely different procedures. I have no experience in or know much about the procedure you will undergo. I would suggest asking as many questions as you can to your surgical team as they know the fine details of the procedure, plus your full medical history. I hope consulting with them prior to your surgery will put you at ease. Good luck.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Jokiyo - what kind of surgery you are going to have?

Facial implants are not cochlear implants.