Tinnitus post-op

Brandie

Hoping to hear some other people's experiences.  No tinnitus pre-implant.  I am 2 weeks post-op today, activation in 6 days.  Off and on tinnitus started about 5 days post-op, the  last few days it is nonstop.  It sounds like a bee in my ear.  I am a little emotional right now because I haven't slept the last 2 nights because of the noise.  I have talked to my audiologist, just have to wait and see, but wondering if anyone here experienced short-term tinnitus post-op and what their time table looked like or if I'm looking at a new normal.  Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer/help/talk me down.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Brandie

Congratulations on your CI.  The fun begins at activation.  Which processor did you choose?

I had constant tinnitus prior to surgery.  After my right CI surgery I awoke to a completely quiet right ear.  That was surprising.  No tinnitus.  Then the tinnitus returned but it was quieter than before.  After activation, I did not notice the tinnitus at all while wearing the processor all day.  When I removed it at bedtime, the tinnitus varied for the first several months.  Sometimes loud, sometimes quiet, sometimes very strange sounds.  I told myself that my auditory system was getting quite a work out from the CI and deserved to have a tantrum.  Smile.  In time this night time tinnitus eased up.  My right ear now has much quieter tinnitus than before surgery.

My left ear had tinnitus before surgery too.  After surgery I heard quiet marimba sounds constantly.  After activation the tinnitus varied.  My left ear never had strange tinnitus at night.  Just regular tinnitus sounds.  At a much quieter level than before surgery.

So our experiences with tinnitus vary from ear to ear and also vary over time.

Try not to focus on the tinnitus if you can.  You and your auditory system have been through a lot.  Recovery takes time.

I hope it goes away soon.  When is your activation?

• 1 year later...
On 4/21/2021 at 12:32 AM, Brandie said:

Hoping to hear some other people's experiences.  No tinnitus pre-implant.  I am 2 weeks post-op today, activation in 6 days.  Off and on tinnitus started about 5 days post-op, the  last few days it is nonstop.  It sounds like a bee in my ear.  I am a little emotional right now because I haven't slept the last 2 nights because of the noise.  I have talked to my audiologist, just have to wait and see, but wondering if anyone here experienced short-term tinnitus post-op and what their time table looked like or if I'm looking at a new normal.  Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer/help/talk me down.

Hello. I have it for 1 year too. Have you found a cure for tinnitus or a medications ? I will be waiting for your answer. Thank you.