Rondo 3 and Synchrony 2 Implant - 5 Strength Magnet Too Weak

JCDupras

Hi all! I just discovered this forum, and I wanted to ask some questions of other Rondo 3 users.

I received a Synchrony 2 implant for single sided deafness last year in July. Since then, I'm been using my Sonnet 2 as my daily driver. I was eligible to also receive a Rondo 2, but my audiologist told me that the Rondo 3 was also coming soon, and that if I wanted to wait, they would send me one of those instead.

I finally received my 3 just last week, and I'm hugely disappointed in the magnet strength. They gave me a 5 (Diamonds) - which is supposed to be the strongest magnet that they make in the US. I have been through the "alignment" (10:00 to 2:00 and back to 12:00) with my Synchrony 2 repeatedly, and I can get the implant to "stick" for a little bit, but any walking or moving and the magnet de-aligns, and the implant falls off.

This is super frustrating, as my rechargeables on the Sonnet 2 last about 7 hours, if I'm lucky, while the Rondo 3 boasts a 27 hour battery. I really want this thing to work.

My audiologist said that Med-El will sometimes make custom 6 strength magnets, but only in Europe, as they haven't been approved in the US yet.

Has anyone experienced magnet strength issues with Med-El? My Sonnet 2 works just great, but of course it also has a very tiny thin magnet with a much larger earpiece. Is this just an issue with the Synchrony 2, because of its bipolar magnet? I really want to figure out a solution, because this is very frustrating. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JCDupras

Welcome to HearPeers!

The battery time in your Sonnet 2 processors is very short if you are using the standard size rechargeable batteries.  Have you contacted your Med-El customer service rep about that?  Do you also have the Sonnet 2 disposable battery pack in your kit?  I use Power One Implant batteries in my Sonnets and get a bit more than 2 sixteen hour listening days including streaming.

I have not seen reports of the Rondo 3 magnet strength being too weak.  People who have just been activated and are still healing sometimes report weak magnet connection with Rondo that is temporary until they fully heal.  There is a gripwear sticker that can increase the holding ability of Rondo.  Did a package of gripwear come in your Rondo 3 kit?

If your main goal with Rondo 3 is longer battery life, you may find using your Sonnet 2 with Power One implant batteries to be the longest battery life option.

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@JCDupras

Welcome to HearPeers!

The battery time in your Sonnet 2 processors is very short if you are using the standard size rechargeable batteries.  Have you contacted your Med-El customer service rep about that?  Do you also have the Sonnet 2 disposable battery pack in your kit?  I use Power One Implant batteries in my Sonnets and get a bit more than 2 sixteen hour listening days including streaming.

I have not seen reports of the Rondo 3 magnet strength being too weak.  People who have just been activated and are still healing sometimes report weak magnet connection with Rondo that is temporary until they fully heal.  There is a gripwear sticker that can increase the holding ability of Rondo.  Did a package of gripwear come in your Rondo 3 kit?

If your main goal with Rondo 3 is longer battery life, you may find using your Sonnet 2 with Power One implant batteries to be the longest battery life option.

Hi Mary Beth! Thank you for answering. 

My audiologist is sending me some gripwear and the “lite” plate cover to see if they help. 

I have not heard of the Power One batteries until now. I will look these up and see how I can get them! Thank you for the help!