COVID and our CI MAPping appts

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Recently I went to my CI center (New York Eye & Ear) for a MAPping appointment.  It was so great to have my programs adjusted and return to balanced hearing.  It always surprises me how slight changes in my MAPs bring such huge improvements in sound quality.  It has led me to conclude that for me there are no such things as slight MAP changes.  Smile

Has the pandemic delayed your MAPping appointments?  Will you be able to schedule an appointment soon? 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What is considered an average number of mapping sessions? I have been activated almost a year now and have only had 2 sessions. The last one I had to request. I was very happy with my hearing when I was first activated,  but it seems to have deteriorated. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MaryD1944

This varies by CI center/CI audiologist protocol.  But definitely when things do not sound clear, it is time for a new MAPping appt.

I go to New York Eye & Ear in NYC (NYEE).  When I was activated in 2015, the protocol was:

-activation and leave with 4 progressive programs to work through during the first week

-1 week later and leave with 4 progressive programs…stay on each program for a week

-1 month later MAPping

-1 month later MAPping

-1 month later MAPping

-3 months later MAPping

-6 months later MAPping

Then every 6 months.  Additional appts could be scheduled if needed.

I had 4 mappings in the first year. Covid delayed that 4th mapping 6 months, that was September 2020. My next mapping is scheduled for Sept of this year. So far I am good with the annual mapping, if I have a problem my audiologists is just a phone call away to schedule one sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had very few appts for my second ear. Surgery was 3 days before all elective surgeries were canceled. We delayed activation until 3 months post op. I had activation then 2 mappings... that's it. One year post-activation appt on the 23rd. Luckily I have done exceptionally well with second ear and by my last appt at 4 months (?) it was outperforming the older ear. I know it could use some fine tuning but I knew my CI centre was in a hot spot and while I had all faith in my team to keep me safe I opted to wait until we were no longer under stay at home orders. Can't wait to get int the booth again and for another mapping session!