New users

andrea975

good morning i'm a new user of bonebridge . I had the surgery a few weeks ago and now i am in pending for the switch....anybody of you have the new processor samba ?

I heard of a Facebook group for the VSB and bonebridge in German language , but i don't find it , someone can ' tell me what it's called or can help me find him ? thanks !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Andrea!

I am not a bone ridge user as I have the sonata and opus 2. Hopefully Ivana can chime in soon and give you some info. Ask as many questions as you can. Feel free to share as much or as little as you would like, concerning your hearing journey

Adam

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah - welcome Andrea,

due to the technical reasons, I couldn't answer this question to more than few times. Than I gave up.

Although, SAMBA is officially out lot's of people just test them for now.

Or to pass the relay further, if Thomas knows more - we are listening :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

after one mounth with my Samba for Bonebridge and two setting to my audiologist heare is my opnion :

-         Language comprehension is not very good as of yet, is hard to understand again and if the person speak hear is difficult. I think that the volume of speech is very very low, but is strange because external  sounds are amplified too much, steps on the pavement, auto, wash machine, birds…

-         When I’m  external environment hear is impossible because of the strong ambient noise.

-         When I hear radio/tv  the comprension in very good at low volume.

-         In the past I had the acustic lullaby and the language comprension were good.

Do you have some specific advice  (frequency to modificate) for my next setting to suggest at audioligy ? I want improved a lot my language comprension

Thank you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting Andrea - to me Samba is much better than Amade.

Pardon me, because I have forgotten but what was the reason for the kmplantation in your case?

Let's go through your experience dot by dot:

1. interesting, my language comprehension is better with Samba but I also think that human speech is little bit too much compressed. Do you think that you do not gear because of the lack of the intensity or speech is not understandable? This is great difference - when I was switched on, I had an issue with intensity but everything sound excellent. Even now, I would like if it could be louder.

2. & 3. I hear very well outside and understand speech - better than with Amade. Radio & TV sounds good although little bit overcompressed.

What is - the acoustic lullaby?

My engineer technician did vibrometry, confirmed my hearing loss values, and switch it on. Further, he had just to raise the volume but my language comprehension improved almost immidiately.

Ivana the reason of my implantation is the bilateral artesia. The implant is present only by the right side

I think the problem is that it lacks intensity....I think lack of at least 30 decibels for good hear.

I also have the sense of compression/occluded in the speech language

Ivana is acoustic glasses non lullaby sorry but i write with smartphone :-)

Ciao :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Andrea,

Than, your situation is like mine - I also have bilateral atresia and BB unilaterally.

Yes- that's it: your BB is not boosted enough. You'll see how it is good when your audiologist correct this. To me - it was also too quiet and I asked immidiately boosting of volume. ;)

Sorry - still do not understand your explanation: acoustic glasses?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ask your audiologist, at which level of amplification you are. I was left with 85% and it's not enough too me so I use music programme at most because it is little louder, and first when I am in noisy situation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Aaaa... Now I understand you - interesting, never wore acoustc glasses and, in general, audiologists find these devices not effective.

I have worn the headband since I was four.

Ask your audiologist to boost your device as much it is possible. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

not a bad idea, would be cool if they could come up with a processor like that. a lot of people wear glasses these days.

• HearPeers Heroes

No Adam - it is not like that.

Conductive hearing loss is little bit different than sensorineural: main goal is to press as much as you can temporal bone (where in the projection is cochlea) to boost sound transmission. Unfortunately, this means painful pressure - if you lower it, than the sound transmission is not efficient - you hear but not enough well because conductive HL us essentially mechanical so sound can not be code in the cochlea if it is not clear. Also, bone better transmits liwer than higher frequencies - this compromise speech recognition even more.

• HearPeers Heroes

thank you Ivana for your opinion a the next appointment I ask to boosted my compension language.

yes ivana ...acoustic glasses

http://www.autel-italia.it/betaflex.php

I have been thinking more about your situation: so until niw you wore only acoustic glasses and you are implanted nit more than month or two?

I am asking you this because we conductive HL also are sound deprived so you'll need adapt process where the plasticity of your brain will change and you will understand each time more. From time to time, perhaps each 3-6 months your sound will be boosted until you reach 100%. It can not be done all the sudden because it us too painful - this us the direct consequence of sound deprivation with our previous hearing aids.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Ivana

I am very familiar with conductive hearing loss. I was just making reference that it would be neat if they could come up with a processor that incorporates glasses. Of course it would be a completely different system.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, you've missed my point - glasses are not good solution because of lack of the skull pressure.

yes Ivana i don'use the acoustic glasses for almost a month since s happened the switch....Now I use only the Samba . I understand that is difficukt for me for my history....but the is not the only problem....in certains situation is impossible to hear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Can you explain to me this little bit thoroughly - impossible to hear because it is to quiet or not understandable (but loud enough). If it just the matter of loudness it can be better as soon as your audiologist raise the volume. As for understanding, it will need some time for your brain to adapt.

If you were happy with glasses, why did you go for Samba?

Can you explain to me this little bit thoroughly - impossible to hear because it is to quiet or not understandable (but loud enough). If it just the matter of loudness it can be better as soon as your audiologist raise the volume. As for understanding, it will need some time for your brain to adapt.

If you were happy with glasses, why did you go for Samba?

Yes Is impossible to hear in external situation, When the noise is very strong and cover the conversation. I think that is a problem of volume or at least I hope so. We see that the samba has good potential just yet did not reveal. Ciao Ivana :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Patience, patience...;)

• 3 months later...

I update you on my experience with bonebridge . After four months from the switch I have to say that the doctor has incresed the volumeand now I can hear in quite environment . Unfortunately, I have always some problems in noisy environments , especially if the speaker is on the side opposite to bonebridge . I was then thinking of using some other device help, type the clearsoun 4.0 or roger pen. Can you tell me if these devices improve speech understanding in noise ? which of these two device do you think work better in noisy environment?

• HearPeers Heroes

Trying to hear friends speak in noisy places is a problem for many of us. There are devices that can help but each device has its limits. The biggest problem is that these devices usually only help you hear one person better. That is not very helpful when you are in a group.

Roger system: If you use the Roger pen- one person can clip it on their shirt. You will hear that person well. In a group that is standing, you can hold the Roger pen and aim it at the speakers but in groups the speakers change fast and you will find yourself constantly aiming the Roger pen. In groups that are sitting at a table, you can place the Riger pen on the table to help hear people close to the pen. You need to have the Roger receiver plugged into the FM jack on your processor.

Quattro4 neckloop system: There is a remote mic with the Quattro4. That remote mic can be worn by the speaker or it can sit on the table. You can not hold it and aim it at a group of friends who are standing. You must be wearing the neckloop and your processor needs to be on MT or T. These neckloop a encounter static (electromagnetic interference) at times so depending on where you are using it, you may hear static or humming.

I hope this helps. Check out the handsonhearing.com website. Jeff does a great job explaining all of our options and even has videos.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Andrea,

Excellent - do you feel that you hear OK in quiet environment or you feel struggle? Hearing should be totally unconscious experience - this means that you should not be aware of the stimulus around you and yet appropriately act as soon as it is possible.

Also, you should know at which level of accustomization - there are 4 levels and you go at further step when present step become too quiet or you feel that you do not understand person's voice at certain distance which you formerly could.

Regarding your question about understanding during some noise - this is complex issue. At first, let me ask you: do you use your programme for clearing background noise when you are at certain noisy environment such as noisy restaurants, night clubs etc.? Secondly, you have approached to the problem of the lack of bilaterality. There is a very important reason why people have two ears: second ear help to locate sound and improve speech intelligibility. Also, you need more time for neuroplastic accustomization of your brain: you have been under stimulated for a long time (as I was) - our neural pathway are differently developed until now. With present exposition and increasing volume this will be further improved. Final improvement will be with second implant. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Trying to hear friends speak in noisy places is a problem for many of us. There are devices that can help but each device has its limits. The biggest problem is that these devices usually only help you hear one person better. That is not very helpful when you are in a group.

Roger system: If you use the Roger pen- one person can clip it on their shirt. You will hear that person well. In a group that is standing, you can hold the Roger pen and aim it at the speakers but in groups the speakers change fast and you will find yourself constantly aiming the Roger pen. In groups that are sitting at a table, you can place the Riger pen on the table to help hear people close to the pen. You need to have the Roger receiver plugged into the FM jack on your processor.

Quattro4 neckloop system: There is a remote mic with the Quattro4. That remote mic can be worn by the speaker or it can sit on the table. You can not hold it and aim it at a group of friends who are standing. You must be wearing the neckloop and your processor needs to be on MT or T. These neckloop a encounter static (electromagnetic interference) at times so depending on where you are using it, you may hear static or humming.

I hope this helps. Check out the handsonhearing.com website. Jeff does a great job explaining all of our options and even has videos.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth,

Andrea has Bonebridge, and as far as I know - we can not use Quattro or RogerPen than Siemens MiniTek streamer for overcoming the issue of better hearing music.  :huh:

https://usa.bestsoundtechnology.com/siemens-hearing-products/hearing-aid-accessories/minitek/

http://www.deafequipment.co.uk/product/5233416/3SMTEK1/Siemens-miniTek

http://www.manualslib.com/products/Siemens-Minitek-3587602.html

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for catching that Ivana.

My comments were specific to CIs. Sorry for any confusion.

Mary Beth