Franksharp

franksharp

I’m very interested to hear from people who have recently decided on MedEl EAS over options from Advanced Bionics or Cochlear. What were the most significant considerations?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @franksharp

Welcome to HearPeers!

I chose Med-El based on their internal components.  Specifically their electrode array options that allow our surgeons to select the array that best matches our unique cochleas. I actually have two different arrays because the best choice for my right and left cochleas was different.

The internal components often get overlooked when people are choosing brands but to me they are the most important parts.  I hope to keep mine for life and what determines a lot of what speech and music sound like to us are the internal components.

I blinked and six years have already gone by since I was activated.  During that time Med-El has released several new processors and multiple connectivity options.  The external components and connectivity options change very rapidly.

Fortunately Med-El makes every new processor compatible with all older internal devices from day 1.  We will never have to wait years to be able to use the newest processor.  That will become more and more important to me as my activation date moves further and further in the past. Smile.

15 hours ago, franksharp said:

I’m very interested to hear from people who have recently decided on MedEl EAS over options from Advanced Bionics or Cochlear. What were the most significant considerations?

I didn’t consider AB besides wanting their smoker bbq presentation case.  Had read about too many issues and the recalls which put me off.

Cochlear was where I was headed since at the time I was wearing Resound HA.  But, in talking things out with Audi the pros and cons between the final two brands, remembered some interactions that left a bad taste in my mouth and I was seriously unhappy with the Resound HAs.  The Audi is also a musician and brought up MedEl’s focus on both speech [i]and[/i] music and the fact they have an awesome Musicologist on staff.  That sold it for me.  

The original plan was to go the EAS route since that offered a lot more hearing ability and would’ve been super swell.  Alas, that didn’t happen due to losing pretty much all my residual hearing in the implanted ear from the surgery.  I was fine with that. I went in with little to no expectations tbh.  “Cautiously optimistic!” per surgeon.  Using the Egg aka/Rondo 3 currently and should get my Sonnet 2 on the 1st finally.  I have a pic of the Sonnet 2 they did ship (wrong color) stating EAS.