CI questions: Rock climbing, batteries, and piano

Mkgilmour

I am newly SSD, and hope to be implanted with a MED-EL synchrony 2 / Sonnet 2 processor August 24 (if the insurance company doesn't ruin my plans). I am also an avid rock climber. After my mandatory 2 weeks of not lifting more than 10 lbs, I plan to get back on the wall. 

Is anyone here a climber or similarly active? I plan to bring my helmet to preop so my surgeon can properly mark my head. I also got an earmold made at my audiologist's office a week ago. Any other tips on the following concerns:

- discomfort with the helmet and coil

- processor falling off while upside down/ active

- any issues using the implant while in a crowded, echo-y gym with tall ceilings?

- any issues using the implant while outside in a lot of wind? 

I also love to play the piano. How was it to play after getting a CI? I assume it will be a gradual process of getting used to the sounds of the keys. 

Finally, I'm on 24 hour call shifts a few times a month. Do you guys have any battery advice? 

Thanks! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mkgilmour

batteries for Sonnet/Sonnet2:  We can choose to use disposable batteries. Power One Implant batteries last over 2 full sixteen hour listening days for me.

7 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mkgilmour

batteries for Sonnet/Sonnet2:  We can choose to use disposable batteries. Power One Implant batteries last over 2 full sixteen hour listening days for me.

How much do those cost and does your insurance help you pay for them? The MED-EL rep told me they might. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mkgilmour

Yes my insurance covers them and Med-El US has an optional quarterly battery shipment program.  Your Med-El customer service rep will be able to check on whether your insurance covers batteries.

They are also available online from various vendors for self pay.

• Like 2