New user cochlear implant.

Hi Miautamyy,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear you're having discomfort. I think it would be best if you speak with your MED-EL representative in your country or your doctor as they will know all about your situation. I will send you a private message with the contact details from your MED-EL representative.

Take care

• HearPeers Heroes

Ben is absolutely right. Your Doctor and audiologist and MED-EL rep, know your medical history and hearing history best. They would be able to help figure out any issues you have.

Please stick around as we would love to get to know you better. Please let us know how things are going.

Adam

Hello anyone. I hear a strong buzz in my left ear when i i get up from mybed, then if i lie down i hear a low buzz not strong again. Is it normal? I will activate myimplant 5dys later

• HearPeers Heroes

Miautamyy

I personally have not had this problem and don't know anyone who has. My suggestion would be the same as before. Contact your medel rep and your doctor as they know your medical and hearing history the best. I am sure they can figure it out but you have to let them know. They can't help you if you don't talk to them. Please let us know how you are doing.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

If I may put some guesses here but I support in whole what Adam and Ben already said.

What you feel is tinnitus, sometimes it started after the operation but stops when your outer unit will be activated. Also, about dizziness - sometimes it appears right behind the operation, but on the other hand: it can appear long after the operation. There is no obvious reason for that, pro's are still thinking about possible cause.

Hi Miautamyy,

Did you get in contact with Mr Iskandar? I sent you his contact details and I also sent him your post so he knows about your situation. I think it would be best if you speak with him as he knows all about your hearing. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Ben 

• 9 months later...

Hello anyone. I hear a strong buzz in my left ear when i i get up from mybed, then if i lie down i hear a low buzz not strong again. Is it normal? I will activate myimplant 5dys later

I have the same thing,, it's awful.  worst right after the surgery but now it's better.

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely contact your surgeon. But is it a buzzing sound or a buzzing feeling. Sounds kind of like tinnitus.

Definitely contact your surgeon. But is it a buzzing sound or a buzzing feeling. Sounds kind of like tinnitus.

Ugh I begged the nurses to call the surgeon about it right in the recovery room.. As I was throwing up I had this horrific sound on the implanted side. It sounded like an extremely loud, screeching, buzzing metallic or magnetic sound. Not a buzz feeling. It made me turn my head to the right to see if any medical instrument was interfering with the magnet that they just put in my head. It sounds similar to the sound effect of the monster from the series "Lost"... It showed up every time I exerted myself uncontrollably for any reason. The nurse wouldn't call the doctor about it. My hubby said it might be the blood flowing around it.. anyhow I will tell my doctor when I see him Wednesday for the stiches removal.

Sounds you've been through the bad... I'm glad you feel the journey was worth it :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Nikki,

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult recovery period. Unfortunately, that does happen to some people. It is not an indication of how you will do once activated. Please let us know how things go after you meet with your surgeon on Wednesday. Rest if you can. Sending healing thoughts your way!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes the worst is over for me. It has been an awesome journey!! It will get better!! I have hope!! It was ugly for me for the first three months but it has gotten much much better!! Don't worry yet Nikki or miautamyy. It will get better. Have patience and remember it's all for the best!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Do you still hear that sound Nikki?

Ivana, it's a lot better, I can hear it at night eveyn it's quiet but it's not quite as bothersome.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok then - when you get outer input it would be even better because at the present your brain is lack of any outer signal and brain can not process this so fast. That's why buzzing...

• HearPeers Heroes

Agreed. But be prepared that in the early weeks, when you remove your processor each night, your ear may "talk back". Someone described it as listening to a private radio station. Others describe it as basic tinnitus. Just know, that as your auditory nerve gets used to the input, this settles down too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine still does this Mary Beth. It's not as annoying as it used to be, except when it's a different sound in each ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

I still have it too. But it is less in the implanted ear. In my non-implanted ear it is getting more profound which is understandable. It hears less.

• HearPeers Heroes

be prepared that in the early weeks, when you remove your processor each night, your ear may "talk back". Someone described it as listening to a private radio station. Others describe it as basic tinnitus. Just know, that as your auditory nerve gets used to the input, this settles down too.

I had a couple of such episodes right after activation when I removed my processor before falling asleep. It lasted only about 5 minutes - something gentle sounded inside my head (not in the ear). That was funny and interesting. But I am not sure how I'd feel if it was brutally intense and long lasting. Now I am curious if I am going to be the same lucky with my second implant as I was with my first.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

Have you decided to get a second CI?

• HearPeers Heroes

Not yet, but I know that I will get it in the foreseen future. Lost 2% of my good ear capability over the last 6 months.....

Now I am comfortable with the idea to be in complete silence when without processors, but still feel not ready to rely on my only implanted ear to go with the second surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

It's still early days for you with your first CI, Cara. Maybe you will feel comfortable relying only on your CI before too long. I know that I was hesitant to try a full day with only my CI but when I did it, I realized I performed quite well. It was easy to make the decision to get my second CI because by that time I was preferring to be one CI only instead of bimodal.

• HearPeers Heroes

I try it each day but not so long as I would like. At some reason, I need several minutes before I start getting some words from my implant only. And I need to pay a lot of attention to catch the speech.  And it seems to me that my mapping is a part of my problem, not only my brain. But anyway, I feel I need to put more weight on my bionic ear despite of result. Didn't find enought time to post my impressions after the second mapping - it is better than the previous one but still not balanced. Will try to do it this week. I am sure I will get a lot of very usefull inputs from all of you.

Mary Beth,

Can I ask how long did you waited to try a full day with only your CI? I can't hear well at all with just my CI.

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't gone for whole days with just my sonnet. In the early days my audiologist said to do it for two hours everyday. That was really easy. My implanted ear is my dominant ear though.