Need Input

Phyllis Ann

Good Evening: I am scheduled for the Sunchrony2 implant the end of August. I have not met with anyone who has received and can advise me what I can expect after surgery. Any information?

Thank You

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Phyllis BERGANT and welcome to HearPeers!

Are you choosing Sonnet 2 or Rondo 3 for your processor?

Feel free to ask any questions you have and we will jump in and share our experiences.

Hi, I had the Synchrony2 with a Flex28 electrodeimplanted at Henry Ford hospital in Detroit on March 31, 2021 and was activated May 4th. The plastic “cup”  over my right ear that was required for the first 24 hours was itchy and aggravating but pain was minimal. I was given 4 pain pills when I left the hospital. I took 1 before bed that night and 1 at bedtime the second night in case I rolled over on my right ear.

I started recognizing speech the first night after activation. I have essential tremors so I chose the Rondo3 for it’s simplicity. With masks, glasses and my old hearing aid my ear was getting too crowded. I used Angel Sounds and Heroes for about six weeks. Now I just leave my left hearing aid off and use TV and daily conversation for practice.

The speech recognition in my right ear has gone from 23% before implantation to 73% after my second mapping. My implant has the new Vector magnet and I have not had any retention issues.

I’m sure you will not regret your choice.

Tony

• HearPeers Heroes

Both of my CI surgeries were very easy to recover from.  I did not take any prescription pain meds, just Tylenol for the first couple of days.  I slept in a recliner the first nights and then slept with my head elevated for a few more nights.  I had restrictions for sneezing, nose blowing and lifting.  Very easy recoveries.  I hope you are as fortunate.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

I had restrictions for sneezing

How do you restrict sneezing? Mine sneezing is uncontrollable when it happens. 

For me, sneezing really wasn’t that bad nor blowing nose post surgery.  I wouldn’t advise blowing as hard as possible but otherwise it was a slight annoyance.  Flex24 (or 26?  I can’t remember offhand but I’m sure it’s in my history on here) Synchrony 2 here implanted 5/27/21.

• 2 weeks later...