How did you learn about, vibrant sound bridge, Bonebridge, EAS or Cochlear implants?

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Curious as to how you learned that your particular hearing device was even an option?

Have you heard of the system before?

How much did you know?

Was it all totally new to you?

How did this impact your decision to move forward?

I guess I will start.

Due to our son being VERY late in developing speech, we had to get some help. A speech therapist was brought in and taught us 30 to 40 signs (ASL) that we could use to communicate with our son. At this time, I had a mild hearing loss but didn't even need hearing aids. I was fascinated by sign language and learning more about it. I started volunteering at the local Deaf outreach center. Took classes and made it through level 4 of ASL which basically meant that I could carry on a conversation with somebody who was Deaf. Never knew that one day I would need it to communicate. Each year my hearing got worse and worse. I started to learn more and more about the history of Deaf culture in the U.S. And overseas. This is when I learned about the CI. My hearing had gotten worse and worse each year. I thought that the chance of a CI might be in my future so it was then that I started to learn all I could about the CI. I did a great deal of research into how it worked, what to expect and started looking into each company.

Didn't take long to realize that Medel would be the company for me. As a matter of fact, you should have seen the look on my audits face when I was finally activated years later when I asked what my Maplaws were.

She stopped what she was doing and asked "how do you know about that?" You are the first patient I have ever had that 1) knows about them and 2) wants to know what they are set at.

What about you guys?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ugh Adam...;)

Hard of hearing since I know for myself - congenitally conductive hearing loss, bilaterally. Used analog hearing aid unilaterally. Learnt only fragments of sign language, was mainstreamed into normal hearing school where I made (with some efforts) very good results.

When I was 25 my previous otorhinolaryngologist introduced me with possibilities of BAHA. Unfortunatelly, state health insurance didn't cover the device so I needed to continue with my previous hearing aid. In the mean time, I have enrolled into medical school and finished it as a medical doctor. Started the residency of otorhinolaryngology where my mentor showed me a new device in that time - the rest is history. :)

As my previous analog hearing aid didn't work anymore and I wasn't satisfied with digital one: couldn't function well with it, too many noise, intelligibility was awful...

I just said yes - never said to myself: I doubt or this won't work... Really, really, REALLY satisfied. :D

• HearPeers Heroes

That's an incredible journey Ivana. Was it an easy decision to go with your specialty or did you narrow down a couple areas of interest?

I think the the specialty you have chosen, you will be able to bless many. It is one thing to listen to doctor tell you about an issue you have. It is another to have had that doctor walk in the same shoes. I know for me, it would put me more at ease and have a little more trust as we have a common bond.

• HearPeers Heroes

:)

I had 2 lists: one WISH and second SPARE list, both with just one term.

I bet you know what was on my wish list  :P  Actually, it was more difficult to get an opportunity to specialize it than to decide it.

Although at one side it is love at first sight, on the other - it is great responsibility: each minute you try to narrow your ignorance you discover even greater world of fine filigree quest for knowledge in order to satisfy your patients.

Tnx for your words - people like to identify between themselves, to have someone like them but who can explain them: it's a human touch, the moment from Michelangelo's fresco "The creation of Adam" when God touches Adam  :D

We'll see what my destiny will decide, Coelho said that universe usually conspires to help the dreamer... :blink:

• HearPeers Heroes

Well wherever you land, I'm sure many will be blessed by it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ought...!  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Now I read what I have written - I am not trying to act like God in any possible circumstance... Excuse me.... :(

• HearPeers Heroes

Not taken that way Ivana. You have a great opportunityto use what others thought as a negative growing up, to a positive. As we all do. This is something not to be taken lightly. And not many have had to overcome really the obsticals you have. Proud to call you and all my hear peer buddies my friends.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Adam, I will remember how you supported me during my pre- and postoperative days and even later - this meant to me a lot. When we find in these circumstances we understand what we have to or did overcome. As a professional, I have learnt a lot about "the other side" - this gives us unique perspective when we participate this forum.

Cheers!  ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana you are very correct. I think I mentioned in another post that it makes such a big difference if the patient knows you have walked in their shoes. That gives great comfort and much higher (I believe) level of trust that you wouldn't have before

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes - crucial moment: to understand the patient. Than the real healing begins - cooperation is the key.

• HearPeers Heroes

It takes a team for sure, and the patient plays a big roll

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course - mutual understanding and putting as much efforts there is possible and reasonable.