RoyalQ

My name is Suzee Upp-Haney, yes, two words...Upp like "up in the air" (nee) & Haney (married). 

I got my CI on May 8, 2015. I was not sure what I had been actually told prior to getting it. I had almost an 83% hearing loss. Dr. Isaacson said it was a birth defect.  When the audiologist first activated it, I heard much more than they thought I would be able to hear. I wanted to scream and dance and shout all at once! It was amazing. BUT...there were drawbacks...I had not heard much for so long that noise made me physically ill. I persevered.

I have recently had my second adjustment. I am so overwhelmed and happy that I can hear my cats & dog and my son-in-law (very soft spoken) for the first time. Some voices sound right but some still are a bit staticy. Sometimes I get this time-lag thing going on. My Left ear hears the sound and then the CI translates it so my brain gets it a fraction of a second behind my un-implanted ear. It tends to be confusing, but I will manage.

Anyway, thats my story....& I'm sticking to it!! LMBO!! I'm so happy to hear again. My daughter forgot how I was, talking to everyone & anyone before I lost my hearing. She thought I was anti-social BY CHOICE!!! I'm not even anti-social, just when you can't hear you tend to avoid talking situations...JS

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Suzee and welcome here! :D

It's nice to share your story with us here. Your experience is very interested and wake up hope to others :)

What you describe is perfectly normal, your brain will adjust and you will not remind all those sounds which made you sick at the beginning. Perfectly ok, to shut down your device and rest yourself ;)

Also, the other voices will improve - the neuroplasticity of brain is so live so your understanding and perception will be better and better day by day...

Cheers! :D 

• HearPeers Heroes

Suzee

My name is Adam. I have bilateral (2) implants for 4 years. I grew up with Typical hearing. It remember the day I was activated. By the end of the day, I could not wait to get those things off my head. Overstimulation I guess.

I promise you, it will get better. Rememember the 3 p's, PATIENCE, PRACTICE and PERSEVERENCE!!! You will get there, it just takes a little time.

Congratulations on your first big step on the new hearing journey. Can't wait to hear how the updates are going

Your bionic buddy

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Suzee,

welcome to the family!

Adam and Ivana covered pretty much everything I could have said except for one thing - there's no such thing as a stupid question.

We are all learning here and supporting each other and we want to build up this community again so please hang around.

Matt

• HearPeers Heroes

That's right Matt,

I have given plenty of stupid answers in my time. :D

What's adventures are you up too? Still in the U.S.?

• HearPeers Heroes

If there are no stupid questions Adam, then there are no stupid answers also, aren't there?  :P  :blink:  :lol:

• HearPeers Heroes

No ivana, I have been known to give some stupid answers from time to time ☺️

• HearPeers Heroes

Arghhh - be little bit easier toward yourself...;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I know you could...;)