Awesome story

Adam

• 6 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
Very interested - the article shows actually how long the habilitation has to last to produce some results...:)

A wild WILD world of a brain's neuroplasticity. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

This type of surgery was not even approved for quite a long time. Not sure the status right now. Results from what I understand have been mixed.

Curious to see some other data on this type of implant as it is pretty risky.

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually Adam, experimental surgeries with ABI started in the Europe more than 10 years ago: prof. Colletti from Verona has very good results. I will look for his article. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I understand that, I was talking about the surgery in the US

Can't be enough cases in say 15 years to build any long term prognosis as this surgery is not nearly as common as CI, BB.......

• HearPeers Heroes

I understand that, I was talking about the surgery in the US

Can't be enough cases in say 15 years to build any long term prognosis as this surgery is not nearly as common as CI, BB.......

Yes Adam - that's why I felt need to fulfill you. ;) Pardon me, but Europe is way front of U.S. regarding this matter. 

Well, we still don't know because the World needed cca 200 000 cochlear implants to say it's really safe but - there will never be so much patients who would need this kind of implant so we will have to trust in certain centers which are more experienced.

This is the experience of the aforementioned Prof. Colletti from Verona who published in 2014 his result: 64 children during 12 years. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289463/pdf/nihms598196.pdf

Taking into account that central neural system is still under heavy researching, these results are pretty good. :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Gotta love the FDA

CIs are a great example. We have been waiting FOR MONTHS just for them to approve a microphone. I can be very frustrating.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well I guess I can be frustrating also, but meant to type IT can be frustrating :D:D:D

• HearPeers Heroes

Gotta love the FDA

CIs are a great example. We have been waiting FOR MONTHS just for them to approve a microphone. I can be very frustrating.

:D :D

Yeah, I know - it's pretty strange that they are complicating so much. It's not a totally new product - it's a part of it... I can't understand it, although you are fortunate at least little bit: Canada is close for you. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep. The only issue a person from the U.S. Has to consider is the cost and if you get the CI in another country, it voids your warranty. I like that Warranty just to be on the safe side. Not to mention cost. I would hate to see two Gendarmerie Royale du Canada at my front doorstep

• HearPeers Heroes

We call them the Mounties Adam!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep. The only issue a person from the U.S. Has to consider is the cost and if you get the CI in another country, it voids your warranty. I like that Warranty just to be on the safe side. Not to mention cost. I would hate to see two Gendarmerie Royale du Canada at my front doorstep

Well, come to Croatia you wouldn't bancrote even close...:D

About warranty - how is that possible? Hypotetically, if someone is working outside of country and goes there for operation; after some time relocates because of job - it's not possible to loose warranty. It would be ridiculous.

I am talking from the aspect of small nation where we go work wherever you get a position - it doesn't need to be the European Union.

And what exactly does police have with this? It's health not security issue.

• HearPeers Heroes

I wasn't talking about relocating. I was talking about driving to another country for the soul purpose of getting a new program or feature on your processors. Then driving back to your own country. I will get clarification and post what I find out

Another issue with doing this would be if you have any problems say with the new mic or new coding strategy. Nobody in the U.S. Can change the map because they don't have the software. That means another trip to the great white north. If you live just across the border it's one thing. I live roughly 20 hours away by car. Or have expensive plane ticket

That's a huge inconvenience. I do know of some Medel recipients that have done this. To me the cost is too great

• HearPeers Heroes

The police was a joke, I couldn't write a check for say a new processor. Even fitting fees. I guess my attempt at humor failed. :0(

• HearPeers Heroes

The police was a joke, I couldn't write a check for say a new processor. Even fitting fees. I guess my attempt at humor failed. :0(

No, I guess I understood it even too well...:D :D :D   Fear is already in my bones...:D

• HearPeers Heroes

I wasn't talking about relocating. I was talking about driving to another country for the soul purpose of getting a new program or feature on your processors. Then driving back to your own country. I will get clarification and post what I find out

Another issue with doing this would be if you have any problems say with the new mic or new coding strategy. Nobody in the U.S. Can change the map because they don't have the software. That means another trip to the great white north. If you live just across the border it's one thing. I live roughly 20 hours away by car. Or have expensive plane ticket

That's a huge inconvenience. I do know of some Medel recipients that have done this. To me the cost is too great

Yes but - what would time have exactly with your warranty? What is difference if you go somewhere only for the purpose of implantation or tuning comparing to if you work somewhere for several months and return to your homeland. Basically, this shouldn't be restricted - is it free market or ...? :)

They don't have software? But if you all have Sonnets for the instance, how that can be possible?

For instance, if we take Matt now who is in Mexico but originally from Australia. If he choose to live there for instance 6 months, that means that he wouldn't be able to change anything in his coding matrix for 6 months? Interesting question however...

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe the software issue that Adam is referring to is that in the US, those features in the software are not unlocked yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Maybeth. The audis do not have the software to download onto their computer to be able to upload to the CI. And they are not sent this program until it is approved by the FDA. If you go anywhere outside the country to get the new coding strategy, the only way to make adjustments to your map is to go back to that country. That makes no sense.

I have inquired about the warranty and will post as soon as I get a reply. Being that it is the weekend, I might not hear anything until Monday or Tuesday

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Maybeth. The audis do not have the software to download onto their computer to be able to upload to the CI. And they are not sent this program until it is approved by the FDA. If you go anywhere outside the country to get the new coding strategy, the only way to make adjustments to your map is to go back to that country. That makes no sense.

I have inquired about the warranty and will post as soon as I get a reply. Being that it is the weekend, I might not hear anything until Monday or Tuesday

But, if eventually FDA approve the software - patient won't need to travel? I have to say this is little bit ridiculous because if someone is implanted and tuned outside of U.S. and come to work in U.S. in the mean time he has to return to his country for retuning... However, pretty complicated...

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe the software issue that Adam is referring to is that in the US, those features in the software are not unlocked yet

:huh:  :(  :rolleyes:   Understood - thanks MB for clarification.

• HearPeers Heroes

Fingers crossed that the FDA approves those Sonnet features soon and we can all travel anywhere with access to the same software.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hurry up an wait Marybeth. They are not ones to do anything quickly