Hello You All, I'd like to introduce myself

Cynthia

I am a 57 year old woman, I started my hearing loss journey at age 9. I just had my CI surgery on June 30th, for the right ear. I am so excited and filled with anticipation for my activation on July 22. I am having trouble with my head and ear itching. I was told to wear the ear cup with the elastic strap for 24/7until I came for my post op appointment. I did put a clean cotton shirt under the elastic band to see if that would help  as I think my scalp was reacting to the elastic band. Anyone have suggestions as I know I don't want to be trying to scratch or mess with my ear?

• HearPeers Heroes

Cynthia

welcome to hearpeers!! My name is Adam, I am bilaterally implanted and have had my CI's for 4 years. Feels free to share as much or as little about yourself that you would like. Please ask as many questions as you can think of.

Can you tell us where you are from? I live in the United States and everyone that I have talked to or read about had their dressing removed the next day or day after. You would be the first person that I know of that was told to keep the pressure bandage on for so long.

I would touch base with your surgeon. Let him or her know the troubles you are having. They might tell you just to take it off.

Now comes the tough part. Trying to patiently wait until activation. It drove me crazy to wait both times. Please let us know how you are doing

Your bionic buddy

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... Cynthia - I am an ENT and I could not make up the reason why you are advised to wear banding fir such a long time. Are you sure that you have understood your surgeon well?

On the top of the mountain - 7 days would be more than enough. After that wound should heal on the normal atmosphere.

Adam and Ivana,

I live in New Bern, North Carolina. The surgeon said I could take the pressure bandage off at home later this week during the day but, at night I should leave it on. The purpose is to prevent infection. I can call Mon.and see what they say. I am staying home, sleeping sitting up and my dear husband is spoiling me!

• HearPeers Heroes

Cynthia, you deserve it. Take it while you can get it.

First let me say, I am not a doctor. That being said, I have never heard of anybody keeping the pressure bandage on for that long. I have had 37 surgeries in my lifetime 17 brain surgeries. Even with the brain surgeries, I went home with all 20 to 30 staples exposed.

I am not here to tell you what to do. I would touch base with them just to be sure if it were me. Can't hurt to ask.

I hated mine and only wore it for 24 hours.

• HearPeers Heroes

Now the wait begins

Activation will get here before you know it. Did you go with the Sonnet or Rondo or could you get both?

It seemed like forever for activation to get there for me as they made me wait 6 weeks for each ear. Due to my medical history, they wanted to make sure I was healed and swelling down before activation. As I am sure you will hear from others, it was worth every minute.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... Bandage cand not definitely stop the infection - this is not the way of controling it. By taking good care for the wound - you take good infection control. This means, keep it clean, and put a light pressure around the cut so you can massage it. This actually improve skin laxity and "wound" is more stable.

But of course, ask your doctor again - perhaps you misunderstood him?