Hi! My name is Ray

Screech

I was implanted on 8/4/21 and turned on 8/20/21. Wow! Was I turned on!! I am one of the lucky ones. I could hear and understand from the get go. My hearing has allowed me to expand my horizons by use of music with a new guitar (which I cannot play) and a karaoke machine which I can use, but with an almost 80 year old voice! My large family is very supportive. On my second meeting with my Audiologist, she gave me new programs and volume levels. Whoa, howdy! My hearing was so clear it was amazing! One major problem!! Along with the new hearing level came a loud screech, especially from tv conversations. It is very aggravating! I am trying to live with it but it is frustrating. My wife, Jill, who is a wonderful support and help, reminds me often that I am so lucky to hear like I do from the first minute of turn on. The screeching continues into my fourth week after turn on. Have any of you out there in HearPeer land experienced this loud screeching?

Happy to be joining. Look forward to communication with other Med El implant users. Ray Goodness

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Screech

Congratulations on your awesome activation and start of your CI journey!

Is the screech sound you hear present all the time or just at certain times?  Even when listening to a family member, or just with the TV or devices?

Hi Mary Beth,

The screech is pretty much there at all times. It is reduced while talking to people, but still present. My audiologist said to just hang in there because this is all new to my brain! Makes sense! Because I started out so well, I get impatient when I have interference. My wife chastises me for forgetting that I am very lucky to be as far ahead with this whole process as I am!

Thanks for your question! Ray

• HearPeers Heroes

@Screech

Keep us posted .  Hopefully it resolves on its own.  If not, I am sure your audiologist will make MAP changes.  Things changes very quickly in the first weeks.  When is your next appt with your audiologist?