Why Med El?

Marilyn T

I was just tested and found to be qualified for a CI.  Doing the research on the three available manufacturers and am looking for input as to why those of you that have already had the implant chose Med El.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Marilyn,

I was implanted with Med-El in February and just love my CI. I selected Med-El for their electrode array options. Med-El also has a strong record over the years. Good luck on your journey. I wish you the best.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I did a great deal of research and found Medel to have the most reliable implants. They also have a great deal of room left for future software upgrades. Customer service is amazing and the U.S. Headquarters is located in NC. I live in SC U.S.

Mary Beth,

In layman's terns what does "electrode array options" do for you?  Perhaps you could expand a little bit. I've been reading all the brochures and after a while it can be a little overwhelming. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Sure Marilyn,

It can be quite overwhelming. Med-El has many different electrode arrays for the surgeon to choose from to match your cochlea. I liked the options the surgeon planned on having available in the OR during surgery. It made me feel more confident that the electrode array would be able to be inserted.

Now that I have MedEl, I like the D-coil (the magnet on the outside of your head). It is so much smaller and lower than headpieces worn by my friends with other brands. Also I love the Rondo when I'm active and sweating. Nothing on my ear at all. The water wear cover works great in the pool.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Medel also has what is called complete cochlear coverage which means that the electrode arrays go furthest into the cochlea giving it the ability to pick up more frequencies to hear

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Marylin,

Welcome to the Hearpeers - please, feel free to ask everything what is interesting you.

Just to fulfill my colleagues - why are the electrode arrays options important.

Our cochlea is organized in the, so called, tonopic order. This means that your hearing path is organized in a way that each part registrate particular frequency. This extends further ti the central neural system - this is the tonotopical organization. Please read more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonotopy

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gAio3iTtgMw/TW23AytUzMI/AAAAAAAAADE/MqfWBPo1ZxU/s1600/14298-004-99934987.gif

Now you understand why longer array give the oppurtunity to pick up wider frequency range so translated into the brain it can cover wider sound range.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got implanted on July 16 and wrestled with this decision for months.  For me it boiled down to two variables, the deeper electrode and the 3T MRI compatibility. AB has some really good external technology and they were a very close second.  I felt that the external processing, wireless compatibility, may not have been as good with Medel but they should continue to make relative advances with the industry.  The internal devices are set and are yours for the duration.  I felt Medel was better in this area.    

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations on the surgery! Do you have an activation date set yet?