Jump to content

How to choose a cochlear implant doctor?


dislab
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, I have profound hearing loss on both ears. After the recent hearing test my ENT doctor suggested me to consider cochlear implant. I live on Long Island, close to New York City, and there are many hospitals and doctors that perform cochlear implant surgery. My ENT doctor recommended a doctor in Manhattan, who did many cases, but the office is a little more than one hour driving. There is a hospital near my home called Long Island Jewish Medical Center (part of Northwell) and it has a cochlear implant center, which will be really convenient if I need to visit often. There are other options too and they all look very good. I am wondering how to choose from all those doctors. I am in my 70s and have had hearing loss for 10+ years. I was told the result of cochlear implant depends on the quality of the surgery, but not sure how different it could be. Should I choose a doctor who did many cases? Any suggestions are very welcome! Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@dislab

Welcome to HearPeers!

I chose to go to a large, highly respected CI center for my surgery.  I live 5 hours north of NYC and chose to travel to New York Eye & Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.  I have been going to NYEE for almost 7 years and it has been worth every mile.

Wishing you the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@dislab

Welcome to HearPeers!

I chose to go to a large, highly respected CI center for my surgery.  I live 5 hours north of NYC and chose to travel to New York Eye & Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.  I have been going to NYEE for almost 7 years and it has been worth every mile.

Wishing you the best.

Mary, thanks for your info! NYEE is a very reputable hospital. Did you have the surgery and the CI tuning there? How often do you need to go there? Do you mind sharing your doctor info here or in private message? Thanks a lot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@dislab

I had both of my CI surgeries at NYEE 8 months apart and I have gone there for all of my MAPping appointments.  I continue to go to NYEE.

I can share how my appts were scheduled but that was in 2015 and they may have changed their timing of appts so it is probably best for you to reach out to them directly and ask.  They have a website.

https://www.nyee.edu/care/ent/ear-institute/services/cochlear-implant
 

The two CI surgeons are Dr George Wanna and Dr Maura Cosetti. 

https://www.nyee.edu/care/ent/ear-institute/team

 

Audiologists, tech coordinator, speech & vestibular therapists and social worker 

https://www.nyee.edu/care/ent/ear-institute/staff

My experiences at NYEE have been excellent.  It’s a great team if professionals who made the entire process as smooth as possible.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@dislab

I had both of my CI surgeries at NYEE 8 months apart and I have gone there for all of my MAPping appointments.  I continue to go to NYEE.

I can share how my appts were scheduled but that was in 2015 and they may have changed their timing of appts so it is probably best for you to reach out to them directly and ask.  They have a website.

https://www.nyee.edu/care/ent/ear-institute/services/cochlear-implant
 

The two CI surgeons are Dr George Wanna and Dr Maura Cosetti. 
 

My experiences at NYEE have been excellent.  It’s a great team if professionals who made the entire process as smooth as possible.

 

Thanks again for sharing the info! I'll check with NYEE. Hope your CIs work well for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@dislab

You are welcome.

My CIs have been life changing.  Best decisions ever. Here is a link to a captioned video of my CI journey if you are interested.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@dislab

You are welcome.

My CIs have been life changing.  Best decisions ever. Here is a link to a captioned video of my CI journey if you are interested.

 

Wow, your video is amazing! I am so happy CIs work well for you and this builds up my confidence on it. Given my current hearing, I really have nothing to lose anyway. I have an appointment with an ENT doctor next week to get some recommendations on CI hospitals/doctors, and will talk to two hospitals/doctors in the next few weeks (one of them is a former NYEE doctor, now at Columbia). I am hoping my nearby hospital Long Island Jewish Medical Center (#40 national and #7 in New York on ENT, by USNews) will just be a good place, and it has a cochlear implant center. Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@dislab

I am glad my video has encouraged you.  Wishing you the very best on your CI journey.  Keep us posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...