What does music sound like to you

Dianna

Hi,

Im curious as to what others hear when rehabbing to music. Im 6 weeks activated. Day of activation i could hear boinks, off key dinks and no lyrics at all.  After a few weeks, lots of notes fell into place.  In angel sounds, the notes training starts with series of five notes,  separated by semitones. Im curious for those of you using this training...do you hear the notes to scale? Im so so curious as to what others hear. I can hear so much more in songs now, including lyrics!  the training has me curious as to what others hear....

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

Now I hear beautiful music and the individual voices of instruments.

At 6 weeks, music was still quite a mess for me.  Smile.

Music made huge jumps at about 3-4 months post activation.

9 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dianna

Now I hear beautiful music and the individual voices of instruments.

At 6 weeks, music was still quite a mess for me.  Smile.

Music made huge jumps at about 3-4 months post activation.

Hi mb, i am curious as to what "quite a mess" sounded like. What do i train to bring the notes back to "order". For example five notes from low to high should be 1 2 3 4 5, but i hear 3 1 2 4 5, as if one note is perhaps an octave lower or higher.

• HearPeers Heroes

It helped me to play scales on a piano but at 6 weeks it was too early for me to worry about musical pitch.  At first all notes sounded the same to me.  

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

It helped me to play scales on a piano but at 6 weeks it was too early for me to worry about musical pitch.  At first all notes sounded the same to me.  

Gotcha, i am too curious to wait 6 months (laughs)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

I did not wait at all and began listening to music right away.

For me aural rehab (speech, speech in noise and music) is all based on repeated success.  If a task was too difficult for me to be successful at the time, I moved to a slightly easier task where I could be successful.  Repeated success helped my brain learn to use the auditory input from my CIs.

24 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dianna

I did not wait at all and began listening to music right away.

For me aural rehab (speech, speech in noise and music) is all based on repeated success.  If a task was too difficult for me to be successful at the time, I moved to a slightly easier task where I could be successful.  Repeated success helped my brain learn to use the auditory input from my CIs.

💘 thank you, thats awesome and i accept and agree.

3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Just now, Dianna said:

Ok i think ive answered my question but still looking for sharing from others...for folks using angel sounds music module. Ive been training with this a few weeks after a long spotify music listening practice. (Like 4 hours a day for weeks)

The program has pure tone and several instrument sections. The training consists of five notes, rising or falling plus assorted up down etc. When i trained the first section i got 100 percent on some but not all instruments. I started hearing sounds but not in the proper order! I needed to know if i needed more practice or if the electrodes were mixed up (chuckle) my audi says she doesnt know much about what her patients ask about specific stuff, just wants me to follow a set path and time table (im good with that) but i dont see her for two more months. Ok so i wanted to know if i needed more training or what. I stream scales, solos, old familiar music etc, so i was wondering how i could  be skipping notes! Is it a defect or not enough training. I could not get 100 percent on lowest level. So i went to preview each instrument, simply played both rising and falling several times. Each time the notes became clearer and more "correct" In a 34 minute session, i got 100 percent on each instrument. The organ was the most difficult, and i got the notes in order!

Im a firm believer in word rehab, still struggling with advanced vowel and consonant. But a little bit of music training really helps with voice differences.

So i really needed to know if i had any mechanical issues, im pretty sure i dont have mechanical issues, and i feel more confident in more repetitive practice.

I can now continue without question!!!!! Onward and upward!!!

1 hour ago, Dianna said:

Ok i think ive answered my question but still looking for sharing from others...for folks using angel sounds music module. Ive been training with this a few weeks after a long spotify music listening practice. (Like 4 hours a day for weeks)

The program has pure tone and several instrument sections. The training consists of five notes, rising or falling plus assorted up down etc. When i trained the first section i got 100 percent on some but not all instruments. I started hearing sounds but not in the proper order! I needed to know if i needed more practice or if the electrodes were mixed up (chuckle) my audi says she doesnt know much about what her patients ask about specific stuff, just wants me to follow a set path and time table (im good with that) but i dont see her for two more months. Ok so i wanted to know if i needed more training or what. I stream scales, solos, old familiar music etc, so i was wondering how i could  be skipping notes! Is it a defect or not enough training. I could not get 100 percent on lowest level. So i went to preview each instrument, simply played both rising and falling several times. Each time the notes became clearer and more "correct" In a 34 minute session, i got 100 percent on each instrument. The organ was the most difficult, and i got the notes in order!

Im a firm believer in word rehab, still struggling with advanced vowel and consonant. But a little bit of music training really helps with voice differences.

So i really needed to know if i had any mechanical issues, im pretty sure i dont have mechanical issues, and i feel more confident in more repetitive practice.

I can now continue without question!!!!! Onward and upward!!!

I am sorry, this is the melodic module 

• HearPeers Heroes

It is very common for musical pitch to take a lot longer to fall into place than speech.  Try to select the semitone difference starting at 6 semitones and piano.  If correct move to 5 semitones, etc.  We need a lot of practice to get musical pitch to improve.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I have used angel sounds as part of my music practise too. I began with the widest intervals (which were hard enough early on!) Then gradually moved to smaller intervals. I still find music the hardest part of rehab and the slowest to notice change but it is still improving 2 years on.

6 hours ago, Kylie said:

Yes I have used angel sounds as part of my music practise too. I began with the widest intervals (which were hard enough early on!) Then gradually moved to smaller intervals. I still find music the hardest part of rehab and the slowest to notice change but it is still improving 2 years on.

Omgosh, the organ is the most difficult! I do at least 15 minutes on where ever i am at in the first module, then do some of the melodic. At first the notes were out of order, then with spotify streaming and going back, actually can get 100 percent of the 6 semitones, 5 is harder. I "kind of" can read music so my brain and the notes "fight" it feels like. Thanks for your sharing.

• 8 months later...

Hi all, still working on music at 9 months post activation, continuing to improve. The singing practice for medel has helped alot. Had to take a break, my maps with AI are not fun for me, so im using my map with no AI and back to improvement!!!!

Imho, rehabbing and looking so hard for improvement made me nuts! I am retired so have plenty (maybe too much) of time to frustrate myself. At 9 months i finally learned when to take a break and just enjoy what i hear for a bit.

Yesterday we had a family breakfast, 6 people and i understood, heard and didnt have to have anyone repeat themselves...im tellin ya, two nieces, two nephews and a sister and they all sounded like themselves!!!!!! We are all in 50s and 60s, it was so nice and not frustrating!

So today i went back to music training, got all frustrated with my phone, finally figured out audiostream was broken!!!

Back to streaming with audio link util tomorrow!

Actually, music isnt bad from a speaker, to day is summer solstice, gotta have some drums!

I will be thanking the sage spirits all day for my awesome implant!!!!

Everyone have a great day 💘 to all

• 3 months later...

Hi cassey,

I started off finding scales and instrument solo,'s, still do!

The instrument solos are great for practice and helpful fir pin pointing what you are not getting

I like all kind of 🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵 music and doesn't like hip hop it is too violence