Teaching and cochlear implants—-long term

Addi

Hi, I am nearly a year post implant, and will be getting my second ci in early 2022. I am currently on medical leave from my public school teaching position because of the mask requirements, but I want to think realistically about going back to work in a post COVID (no mask) setting. I teach high school Spanish in a public school. I see 5 groups of 36 kids a day (150 total).  With 2 successful CIs, is it reasonable for me to think I can go back to teaching the way I was when I could hear well? Is that a setting that would be difficult for even the best case scenario?  I don’t want to give up on the profession that I am skilled at and that I enjoy, but also I want to be realistic. Any insights? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Addi

Wishing you the best on your second CI!

I taught with my CIs, including teaching at the university at night in a large room.  So yes it is possible.

Aural rehab helped me learn to hear with my CI.  

Which processor do you use?  There is assistive tech that may help you too.

I have a sonnet 2 eas. My classes are conversation based, meaning over half of the period is partner based… lots of voices at the same time.  When I just used hearing aids, I was so tired at the end of each day. I know about the roger pen and audio link. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Addi

Have you had a chance to try a program using adaptive intelligence strong yet?  It’s an ASM 3 feature for Sonnet 2/Sonnet 2 EAS and Rondo 3.  It is supposed to handle noisy situations automatically.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Addi

ASM stands for automatic sound management.  The newest ASM is ASM 3 for Sonnet 2/Sonnet 2 EAS and Rondo 3.  It has settings that control noise using adaptive intelligence.  There is adaptive intelligence strong and adaptive intelligence mild.

John is presenting on assistive tech we can use with our CIs this Saturday. I will tag you in case you want to join in.  

Hi addi, i have same set up, 

The asm has not been activated for me to use yet, expecting it december 10 at my 3rd mapping. I hear conversation very well at this point, ive only been in a few busy restaurants, and big conversations of 3 or 5 and my attention seems to tire me a bit, but i can converse so much better. Im retired, so not really a comparison. Im sure you will be able to hear better than with just ha. Good luck hope to see you at the show and tell.