Device sounds

SoCalRes

Hello I was first diagnosed with hearing loss about 40 years ago. Needless to say, my hearing has steadily got worse and I am now facing (more like fighting!) at least one implant.  I have, as I am sure everyone has had, concerns and was so happy to find this forum. I have some basic questions about life after and would love to get feedback from those who have first hand knowledge and experience. First I am interested in what sounds are like ie:  timers, tea kettles and similar devices.  Are the sounds fairly normal? Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

@SoCalRes

Welcome to HearPeers!

At first everything sounded strange to me.  It took my brain some time to catch on but after it figured it out, WOW!  Absolutely amazing!

I have bilateral Med-El cochlear implants and they have changed my life.

I love listening and am in awe of how natural sounding everything is now, even music.

Aural rehab helped me a lot.  Check out our rehab topic for lots of tips.

Wishing you the best!

• HearPeers Heroes

@SoCalRes

It is a big decision.  Here is a link to my cochlear implant story in case you are interested.  It is captioned.

We are a friendly group so ask as many questions as you wish.

Hi so cal res, are you in southern california? (Just a guess)

My situation is similar, hearing loss started about 60 years ago for me, lucky i still have 50 percent hearing in both ears but serious deficit in word comprehension. Recently retired, i took myself to a university with a large otarlyngology department with no referral and requested a hearing test. Long story short, i was implanted 2 months ago. 

Every one is different, there are many stories here, wow moments, check them out.

I wanted to enjoy family time, not having to say what, or mixing up conversations. Etc etc. I am so glad i did it, i can be in a room with two family members, and get all of the conversation. Three isnt too bad either.  

So let the questions rip!

💘 di

3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@SoCalRes

It is a big decision.  Here is a link to my cochlear implant story in case you are interested.  It is captioned.

We are a friendly group so ask as many questions as you wish.

Thank you so much