SIngle implant

SoCalRes

I have hearing loss in both ears-the right MUCH worse- and my ENT is recommending implants in both ears.  I have new "super power" hearing aids and it is working very well in my left ear.  I am considering  trying my right ear first in the hope that I may get by with just one. (I hate to suppress natural hearing in both ears) If you have just one implant and use a hearing aid in the other, how is that working for you?  Is there an imbalance or other issues of which I should be aware before I approach my doctor with this? Thank you

Janet

• HearPeers Heroes

@SoCalRes

That is called bimodal (1 CI and 1 HA). Lots of people are happy with 1 HA and 1 CI.

3 hours ago, SoCalRes said:

I have hearing loss in both ears-the right MUCH worse- and my ENT is recommending implants in both ears.  I have new "super power" hearing aids and it is working very well in my left ear.  I am considering  trying my right ear first in the hope that I may get by with just one. (I hate to suppress natural hearing in both ears) If you have just one implant and use a hearing aid in the other, how is that working for you?  Is there an imbalance or other issues of which I should be aware before I approach my doctor with this? Thank you

Janet

@SoCalRes

There is a FB group devoted to bimodal CI/HA users. You might want to inquire there about the users experiences, too. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/733117041417578/?ref=share

I live in Southern California and was referred to Loma Linda University for a second opinion. As far as I know, that is where the surgery will be done.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@SoCalRes

We have several HearPeers members in California.  I do not recall anyone mentioning Loma Linda University Hospital CI center.

Med-El US has regional consumer engagement managers who can connect you to mentors if you wish.  Follow this link and sign up for a free 1:1 chat to get connected if you are interested.

https://web.cvent.com/event/15b62402-737e-4a25-85d9-8aa219732f32/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@SoCalRes

We have several HearPeers members in California.  I do not recall anyone mentioning Loma Linda University Hospital CI center.

Med-El US has regional consumer engagement managers who can connect you to mentors if you wish.  Follow this link and sign up for a free 1:1 chat to get connected if you are interested.

https://web.cvent.com/event/15b62402-737e-4a25-85d9-8aa219732f32/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

I am with a Medicare Advantage plan and have to stay in the network. Thank you for the link!.