New CI user

Moira

HI everyone:  I had my surgery 6 weeks ago and saw my audiologist last Friday for my activation.  It sounds very robotic to me at the moment and I hope this goes away soon and I have more natural hearing.  Any words of advice as a new user?  Thank you so much!

I have a Rondo 3 on my right ear. My left ear I would say has moderate to severe hearing loss.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Moira

congratulations on your CI!  A lot changes on the first days, weeks and months.  Check out our topic called REHAB for a lot of great suggestions.

Here is a link to my favorite rehab tips.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Robotic is normal and it will resolve with time and rehab!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Just wear it all the time while you are awake so you brain is forced to adjust. And do your rehab activities. 😉

Also this is quite fatiguing in the early weeks, your poor brain gets tired with all the concentrating on new inputs, so allow yourself sufficient quiet time and kindness.

• Like 3

Hi Moira!  Congratulations on your cochlear implant!  Like you, I found everything very robotic-sounding right after activation.  Everybody sounded like a chipmunk!  My amazing audiology team at Nova Scotia Hearing and Speech had warned me about this and assured me that it would gradually go away and things would sound normal, so I was prepared for the tinny sounds.  I did the rehab exercises and wore my CI all the time, although for me it was scary, taking out the hearing aid in my right ear and just depending on the CI in the left side!  I found the rehab exercises helpful, but listening to real world sounds was so much more pleasant and rewarding.  The more you listen, the better it gets.  Work hard, but take time to take care of yourself. Rest when you are tired.  Rehab can be exhausting as your brain adapts to all the new sounds.  Try not to focus on percentages and scores; you will progress, even if you don't notice it at the time.  I wish you all the best in this exciting new journey!  Take care, eh! 🙂🍁

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.  This forum is wonderful for resources.  I'm finding it is getting less and less robotic sounding.  I was expecting this, but I'm impatient!  

Darlene, I'm from Toronto (yes Uppity Canada). I have many friends in Halifax and love Nova Scotia so I'm not half bad.  ha ha

I do get tired. I was working on some exercises with my husband last night (one of the pages Mary Beth posted) and after about 10 minutes I just said I can't do any more.  I was really tired.  I find rehab activities are better for me in the morning when I'm fresh.

Thanks again everyone!

Moira

• Like 2

I hear you!  🙂  I also did better with rehab in the morning.   I have friends in Toronto, lots of them, if you include the Blue Jay, Raptors and Maple Leafs, so I believe you're OK.  One of my favorite things since I got my CI is listening to Buck announcing the Blue Jays games...from another room!  One of the first voices I could recognize post activation was Buck Martinez! Go figure?  Have a great day!