Robots and cochlear implantation

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Two new uses of robots and cochlear implantation.

HEARO robot in conjunction with Med-El for drilling the access for electrode insertion.  Quite amazing!

https://blog.medel.pro/hearo-robotic-cochlear-implant-vedat-topsakal-paul-van-de-heyning/

IOTA-soft in conjunction with the University of Iowa for using a robot to very slowly insert the electrode array.

https://cochlearimplantbasics.com/2021/11/dr-bruce-gantz/?fbclid=IwAR0F39hcSwAnMwR5gamnrFWT8oz5aDxPtyXYPk6CCaMZUNK9WTVBzeKvg1I

Wow, bruce is my surgeon, funny. I read so much about him, when i met him i asked about iota and he said they did not have fda approval yet. I still sometimes feel like a lab mouse but extremely tremendously fortunate! Im so excited for my next mapping in december.  Thanks for posting mary beth.

I'm participating in a study, one is the hybrid, and is mainly about aging, so i have like 6 appointments when i go for mapping, and i complete surveys for two weeks after mapping. Its tiring but keeps me rehabbing! Sue is the audi, others, like camille and her staff are so great to work with. They love their work!

The research includes many questions about music, however it is not specific to music, im told most of it is in regards to delay of dementia. However i have the sonnet 2 eas, specifically chosen by bruce. My questionnaires and tests have a billion questions, because my first goal was quality of music, second is conversation lol. 

Also, i forgot, they are also still developing software program that measures responses of the hairs and audio nerves (hope wording is correct) during surgery. The u of i program wasnt working on my surgery day so i had some testing done by that after 2nd mapping.  I was asked nicely to participate post surgery and possibly future tonal testing. I will ask more in december.