Jump to content

hello from Tennessee.


PhillipRisner
 Share

Recommended Posts

Got my implant a week ago and excited about the future . Single sided deafness is not something to be taken lightly. I'm 56 and my hearing loss was gradual . I'll be glad to get some use of my left ear again . I have 3 grandkids and they spend a lot of time with me. I've noticed my instincts default to panic when I can't locate them by sound anymore. It's amusing what is actually happening when my wife explains what is happening .. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, Jared Charney said:

@PhillipRisnerI'm 50 and also have SSD I was implanted a year ago and being able to localize sound again is fantastic. Let us know how it goes for you

Hey Jared its good to have some one to relate too . Yesterday went well enough . How long does the vertigo last ? I still get very dizzy after activity.? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, Jason77 said:

Welcome @PhillipRisner. I’m 11 days until surgery. Would like to hear your progress and updates.

Hey Jason,  the surgery and recovery is not what id call minor. Ive had neck and back fusions and hernias repaired and am a chronic pain patient.   For a reason I dont understand, my high daily dosage pain meds was a problem.  My dr told me I'd probably hurt more than a healthy person.  From what I've read he must be right ? But as far as the pain is concerned I'd do it again in a heart beat to regain hearing again . Everything works as it should though. Im getting distorted sound again! They stated that is the first step !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 6:24 AM, Mary Beth said:

Welcome @PhillipRisner!

wishing you the best.

Which processor  are you getting?

Thanks for your well wishes..I got the Rondo for indoor usage and the sonnet for outdoors . I have a farm and I'm worried I'd damage a rondo outside . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@PhillipRisnerAfter my initial inner ear viral infection I never had a full on bout of vertigo. I have 24/7 tinnitus and it took about 2.5 years after the viral infection to get full balance back. I could cope but it was a challenge sometimes especially being a photographer and when I'm doing some editorial assignments you kind of end up being in situations where balance is key. That's awesome you have a farm, I've done lots of photo assignments lately w/farmers local to where I live and it's been great. Do you have daily vertigo or just shaky balance? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Phillip.. i had surg late august. I had a little pain but was so scared of having pain i took the pain pills for two days. During that time i felt woozy and tired, slightly dizzy but i dont believe it was vertigo. I was very tired is all, got that boob bandage off, took a shower and felt great, just tired. Im 65 and retired so had no activities to worry about. I was activated at two weeks and the excitement and discoveries of sounds, streaming, its all fantastic.!!! 

People are all very different in their responses to ci, to be sure. Take care!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jared Charney said:

@PhillipRisnerAfter my initial inner ear viral infection I never had a full on bout of vertigo. I have 24/7 tinnitus and it took about 2.5 years after the viral infection to get full balance back. I could cope but it was a challenge sometimes especially being a photographer and when I'm doing some editorial assignments you kind of end up being in situations where balance is key. That's awesome you have a farm, I've done lots of photo assignments lately w/farmers local to where I live and it's been great. Do you have daily vertigo or just shaky balance? 

Actually I just rounded the thought to only Vertigo its actually more imbalance now . Im in a very rural area, folks tend to only drive by as im trying to get footing lol . One person passed and visibly chuckled,  I'm sure he thought I'd been drinking. Im a very lite drinker . There is usually beer or whiskey in house but I haven't consumed a whole case of beer in 2 years and I'm sure the bourbon is weakened! I hope the imbalance passes soon I dont mind if people gossip on me to give someone else a break but I dont want to become the common person lol ..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 6:24 AM, Mary Beth said:

Welcome @PhillipRisner!

wishing you the best.

Which processor  are you getting?

Is there some key words you know for me to search,that might shed some light on the fact that im only receiving noise?( Ive only had the initial activation )I know its part of the process ,and just to have sensation on that side is a plus ! I'm certain of some tinnitus relief . Down south we pronounce it (tin eye tis) lol . Merry Christmas to you and thanks in advance for any assistance 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@PhillipRisner

Each audiologist follows a unique protocol to activation and initial MAPpings.

My schedule was

activation- leave with 4 MAPs to progress through during the first week (different only in loudness)

one week later- leave with a new set of 4 MAPs.  Stay in each MAP for 1 week 

one month later- new MAP

What is the protocol with your CI audiologist?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@PhillipRisner. Good luck with the recovery. I'm a little ahead of you as my activation was 50 days ago.

Firstly, vertigo/imbalance. I didn't have vertigo but I certainly had some feelings of imbalance in the weeks after surgery. It was such that I didn't drive for about 10 days. It went away gradually. I would think that two - three weeks after implant it had completely gone. I lost all residual hearing in the implanted ear and It was noticeable that when I pulled on a sweater and had my head covered I would tend to fall off to the side where I had lost all hearing. That has all gone away now.

Secondly, Tinnitus. I had it before surgery and, afterwards, I had even more with a new sound pattern in the implanted ear.  Today, I have almost no tinnitus at all whether durng the day with my Rondo activated or at night when my Rondo is recharging. I do not have no tinnitus at all but it is far less than before surgery.

Thirdly, noise. I'm not sure quite what you mean. I have made notes of sound distortion with my Rondo: nothing to do with lack of clarity. I test it with the Audio2Ear test button and some days the distortion is quite acute. I have no explanation and I'm going to raise it next time I go for a check-up in late January. That said, generally speaking I am noticing increasing ability to understand words and conversation without having my hearing aid in my other ear. It is not perfect but it is noticeably better as the weeks go by. I'm constantly amazed by my recognition of basic sounds: clicks, clacks, bumps, ticks, birds, chimes etc.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays......

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 11:10 AM, Mary Beth said:

@PhillipRisner

Each audiologist follows a unique protocol to activation and initial MAPpings.

My schedule was

activation- leave with 4 MAPs to progress through during the first week (different only in loudness)

one week later- leave with a new set of 4 MAPs.  Stay in each MAP for 1 week 

one month later- new MAP

What is the protocol with your CI audiologist?

So far I'm on what you stated in your first week . My next appointment is a little over a month later on the 26th January. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 3:43 PM, Andrew42 said:

@PhillipRisner. Good luck with the recovery. I'm a little ahead of you as my activation was 50 days ago.

Firstly, vertigo/imbalance. I didn't have vertigo but I certainly had some feelings of imbalance in the weeks after surgery. It was such that I didn't drive for about 10 days. It went away gradually. I would think that two - three weeks after implant it had completely gone. I lost all residual hearing in the implanted ear and It was noticeable that when I pulled on a sweater and had my head covered I would tend to fall off to the side where I had lost all hearing. That has all gone away now.

Secondly, Tinnitus. I had it before surgery and, afterwards, I had even more with a new sound pattern in the implanted ear.  Today, I have almost no tinnitus at all whether durng the day with my Rondo activated or at night when my Rondo is recharging. I do not have no tinnitus at all but it is far less than before surgery.

Thirdly, noise. I'm not sure quite what you mean. I have made notes of sound distortion with my Rondo: nothing to do with lack of clarity. I test it with the Audio2Ear test button and some days the distortion is quite acute. I have no explanation and I'm going to raise it next time I go for a check-up in late January. That said, generally speaking I am noticing increasing ability to understand words and conversation without having my hearing aid in my other ear. It is not perfect but it is noticeably better as the weeks go by. I'm constantly amazed by my recognition of basic sounds: clicks, clacks, bumps, ticks, birds, chimes etc.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays......

Thanks for your input it certainly does help ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@PhillipRisner

I just saw your comment on the YouTube video Med-El created.  Yes this is me.  Same person.

 

I hope your journey is going well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...