New to the Community, Looking for Advice

BNes

Hello,

I have lived my entire life (40yrs) with single sided deafness in my left ear.  I’m not sure if it was from birth, or the hearing loss began soon after, but I have no recollection of being able to hear from my left ear.
That said, I  I recently had a consultation with an ENT regarding an CI.  In short, he said I would not be a candidate for a CI because I have had this hearing loss too long.  In his words, “the pathways that the implant would use to send a signal to my brain are covered up”.  This explanation does make sense to me, but I’m curious if anyone on this forum has had a CI after a 20-30 or 40 years of complete hearing loss?

The ENT did propose another option - I would be a candidate for a bonebridge implant.  I have read up on these, and am curious to hear feedback from the community about this.

From what I gather, sound will be transmitted through my skull to my good ear?  Is there an audible difference between my natural hearing in my “good” ear and what is transmitted over via the implant?  

Thanks!