Hi there....

Marion

Glad to have found this website. I was activated just over 5 months ago and I wear a hearing aid.  Until recently I was progressing really well and each day going to different links to work on Listen and Repeat exercises.  I was hearing better in general and was able to join in conversations more so I was regaining my confidence.  But now there seems to be a shift in my hearing.  I`m not deciphering what people are saying to me - they sound to be in an echo chamber.  I am due to see my audiologist at the beginning of September so hopefully this will be rectified but I am puzzled as to why the sudden change.  I am challenged with tinnitus and vertigo and Menieres but that as always been.  Just wondering if anyone else have had set backs?

Having said all this I am grateful to have been a recipient of a Cochlear Implant.

Marion 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Marion,

I have also been activated for 5 months and wear a HA in my other ear. Do you train with your CI ear alone? Do things sound different when you are listening with only your CI? Which processor do you use?

At times I have to shut off my HA and let my brain refocus on just the sound from my CI and then I can turn the HA back on again later. This helps when things sound "off" to me. I attribute it to my brain focusing on the HA sound instead.

Mary Beth

Hi Mary Beth,

Thank you for your input.  My processor is the Cochlear Nucleus 6.  I always train with the CI alone and things do sound different when I am listening with the CI alone.  I find when I am wearing both I hear more through my HA - at the moment that is the stronger device of the two. 

I think I am going to have to wear just my CI for longer periods even though it is more of a struggle to hear this I can do when I am at home maybe that will improve things.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Marion 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Marion,

There are evidents that neuroplasticity of our brain changes even after 7 years.

Perhaps you need re-fitting because you adapted. The way you are using CI with HA is called modal - it depends of your hearing abbilitues which can be used better with HA if you have enough hearing capabilities.

• HearPeers Heroes

I found that using my CI alone as much as possible, helped advance my progress with my CI. In fact, when I felt stalled a bit I purposely left my HA at home so it forced me to function at work with my CI alone. It worked so great that I continued that for quite some time.

Now my CI is functioning much better than my HA.

Thank you all some much for your feedback I have taken it all into account......I am really pleased I have found this website.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers!!!

Sounds like you might need a new mapping. I am not sure where you live but if I felt that something was off or had changed, my Audi would bring me in before the next appointment just to make sure everything is ok. I hope all goes well. Again welcome to the forum. Feel free to share as much or as little about yourself as you would like.

Adam

Thank you Adam for the welcome.  I am due to see my Audiologist in Vancouver on the 8th Sept.  My ride is already arranged for that date otherwise I would be knocking on the Audiologists door to-day!!!   Not able to drive into Vancouver.  

I have worn HA`s for 14 years and I`m presuming my deafness was caused by noise.  We owned a boarding kennel for 20 years and to be in a building with barking dogs would not help! Plus tinnitus and meneires developed.

Anyhow I am so glad that I was one of the lucky ones to be able to receive a CI as the alternative would not have been a good outcome.  I only know from what I read that it is going to get better as time passes so I`m looking forward to that. 

Marion