BoneBridge-Amade-Samba and musicians

Robby

Hi There,

Here's my first post. I had my BB implant in 2014. The fine tuning period was a very long period because I am very demanding. I play guitar and piano. Unfortunately my audi cannot adjust my Amade any further because he says this is it and no further adjustment is possible. Problem is that  the sound of the guitar, piano and even sound of people talking with a sharp "S" (or hissing sound), is distorted.

I dived into the discussions of the new soundprocessor (Samba) and it seems this one is performing much better and the sound quality is superior over the Amade.

So are there any musicians around having a BB (unilateral) with Amade nd/or Samba sp?

Let me know what your experiences are because I already contacted my ENT to place back the abutment for my Oticon soundprocessor.

Looking forward for any reaction and replies.

Best, Robby

Robby, if you have clipping and distortion, there is something wrong with your fitting, or your hearing loss is more than the processor can correct. Do you have an audiogram ?  Can you show it us ?

Thomas

• HearPeers Heroes

Robby - welcome to the Hearpeers,

I am not a musician but I have played an accordion back in the old days of my primary school and have passed elementary music education during my solfeggio classes.

It's true (like I have described in other post) that Samba, from the acoustic point, is much better than Amade taking into account sound quality but also has better speech inteligibility.

I would advise to you - try Samba before you get back to Oticon Ponto (I guess).

Hi Marlies,

I've sent you a private message with the contact details of our country manager in the Netherlands. I think it would be good to speak to her about your Amadé. Thanks!

Ben 

• 4 weeks later...

I am very interested to know how you are going with this. I am looking at an implant and I'm a brass player, so I'm hoping it will help my music not hinder it...

Yesterday. September 08 2015 I was invited to the hospital to receive my test SAMBA device. I was happily surprised to also meet the Dutch country manager of Med-El Marlies Miedema. Thanks Ben Hodgson for pointing me in her direction to discuss my problem. After activating the SAMBA I could hear the difference between the Amade and Samba at once. After the fine-tuning I went home and there I picked up my guitar and played.. and guess what. Program # 2 .. no distortion clipping etc..

Then I started to play the piano and here also NO distortion. The sound of the SAMBA is way better that the Amade processor.

Also dsmerrit I think you should go for it. Of course every hearing device has its limitations. This weekend I will be performing on-stage .. see how that goes with my new device. If the sound of the live performance if good than I must actively start my fundraiser. (I have to pay for the Samba my self because the health insurance does not compensate :-( )

So far good news.  (except for the costs). I keep you updated ...

Robby

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Robby,

The same way I felt - it was instant improvement regarding the quality of coding although (for some reason) I have never had clipping but my sound strategy was different: sound range was limited and I felt that I was missing some frequencies - music was not full.

Samba is everything what Amade hadn't. Perhaps, it should be little bit more clearer but even like this - this is a major improvement.

That's great news Robby! Sounds like it will be beneficial. Good luck this weekend.

I am hoping by the time I get my implant the Samba is in Australia if it's not already.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great news Robby! Sounds like it will be beneficial. Good luck this weekend.

I am hoping by the time I get my implant the Samba is in Australia if it's not already.

Look at the official website - it is always up to date. :)